Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

24 Hours in a Day

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
I'n about to go to bed, but I thought it's been an interesting day and wanted to see if others have the same experience.

For the past few months I have literally jumped from having things to do every so often, to being in up to 5 places a day. Today started out in Burbank at a rental video production facility, where I volunteer three times a week. From 9:00am to 12:00pm I was there. Right afterwards I had to get to Chatsworth, which is about 20 miles from Burbank, to go teach some students at my high school video editing computer software as well as prepare for something I am helping to video tape tomorrow in Pasadena, 28 miles from where I live.

After Chatsworth, I had a scheduled film shoot at a friend of mine's house. I had been in contact with my actor and actress for the past two weeks, and finally had a set time and day to film. But, in the last hour, I got caught up a bit at my high school and had to stay for a little longer. 1:30pm to 4:30pm. The actor gives guitar lessons until 5:30, and the actress at the time was at home doing homework. She was to meet me at my house, and we would go together to the place where we were filming and the actor would meet us there after giving his lessons, after 5:30. They are both good friends of mine.

So basically I was late getting home, I was unable to contact the actor, who I had to inform of a mistake I made, but it was too late. I finally got home, quickly checked to see if I had all the equipment I was bringing with me, which I had laid out earlier in the day and night before, called the actress to let her know I was home. Meanwhile, my friend who was lending the location, his house, called to remind me he had to leave by 6:20. I originally wanted to finish by then, but couldn't now. He told me there were other people home. The actress finally showed up, having been caught up helping her brother with homework, and I packed everything in her car in the rain, and we went off.

By then my friend (house owner), had left, but the actor had arrived. The actress and myself arrived, and we filmed for about 2 hours. We came back to my house, ate dinner, they stayed a while, and then left. As my mom has said, there are only so many hours in a day. I used up most of the daylight ones. Now I sleep and wake up at 6am to prepare for that video taping in Pasadena.

So after all of this long story of today, what are some examples of days in which you have had like this, where you have to be in mutiple places in one day?

In general I won't schedule that much stuff in one day. The likelyhood of me running into problems as the day goes on leaves no wriggle room and I used to be really consciencious about not being late for any type of meeting or appointment. That is one thing LA traffic has taught me, leave time for the travel and add a little more because stuff happens on the way.

On thing is the news radio traffic reports never seem to report the goings on, on the 605 adequetly. I have usually been stuck for a while and am passing the wreck before they say what is going on.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Back in my radio days, when I was young and foolhardy, I took weekend jobs at two different stations 100 miles apart. I lived exactly in the middle between the two cities, so I'd get up at 3 AM to drive 50 miles to the first one, work there till noon, drive home, sleep for an hour or two, and then drive fifty miles in the opposite direction to the second station, where I'd work 6 PM to 2 AM. And then I'd drive home -- going to bed precisely 24 hours from the time I'd gotten up the day before.

I didn't last long at that routine, but hey, it was $3.35 an hour.

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Back in my olden days I used to travel all over Southern California in a day. My counterparts and I would cover 100 miles easy and we'd use up a company car hitting 55,000 miles in a year.

Now with my freakin medical problems I'm a virtual invalid in my house:rage:

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
John in Covina said:
In general I won't schedule that much stuff in one day. The likelyhood of me running into problems as the day goes on leaves no wriggle room and I used to be really consciencious about not being late for any type of meeting or appointment. That is one thing LA traffic has taught me, leave time for the travel and add a little more because stuff happens on the way.

On thing is the news radio traffic reports never seem to report the goings on, on the 605 adequetly. I have usually been stuck for a while and am passing the wreck before they say what is going on.

It's a great idea to leave time for travel. Breaks might not always be possible, but definitely leave time for travel. I'm a workaholic at times so I just want to get things done as organized and quickly as possible, with the least amount of mistakes. I suppose it really depends on your lifestyle. There are always things to improve on and if you don't make mistakes, you can't learn from them. I believe I can say we all do with no argument.

Plan ahead is always a must. Know what you are doing and going to be doing beforehand. If you know or think you will forget, write it down and put it in a place that you'll clearly see it. On the windshield of your car, in a small notebook, make a list of everything that needs to be done. Since the film I'm working on is just a one man crew (me), I have a lot more responsibilities than if there were even 3 other people. But that challenge really helps me be able to stay on top of things the way I would, and I know what my high and low points are by the end.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner