Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

30s Pin Stripe wool Trousers---Side Waist Adjusters--31 waist

DamianM

Vendor
https://www.etsy.com/listing/154607224/1930s-pin-stripe-wool-trousers-side?ref=shop_home_active

il_fullxfull.471729496_290c.jpg

DamianM

Vendor
I picked them up with a couple of other 30s items, neckties, sports coat ( dated 35) and Overcoat (dated 39).
So most likely in the late 30s early 40s range

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Yes, imported British (or other North European) fabric with English writing - this was not unusual on German garments.
The details and cut of the trousers strongly point to the mid 1940's to early 1950's, by the way.
The fabric probably is pre-war imported British fabric.

I have to say that these are really lovely trousers... great fabric and cut, but they are hard to match without the proper jacket.
Still very useful for a "mix and match" wartime or postwar look. For me it's the much too narrow waist that leaves me out.

Last edited:

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
i've never seen 30-50s fabric with ALL WOOL written down the selvage before.
all the vintage British fabric i've found has nothing written down the selvage at all, but might have a makers name or 'shrunk by...' stamped somewhere along the length (but not woven into the cloth... stamped on later).

i'd be happy to see an example though. :p

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
This Dutch fabric I recently found on a rural Bavarian fleamarket certainly is 1930-50's:

SAM_5111.jpg

Possibly this was on export fabrics?

Last edited:

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
This one has a continuous woven selvedge writing "English Style"...
By look and feel of the cloth I'd be surprised if it were later than the 1950's.
"English Style" could indicate that it is from another European country... or maybe from Germany itself.
But maybe it is from Britain and they advertised it on the fabric for the German costumer (who were very fond of British cloth before and after the war!).
F3.jpg

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
40's is certainly their style and late 40's their likeliest age. But the cut of German pants to the mid-50's was very conservative and almost unchanged from the 40's.
(Sometimes with tapered legs, but that was by no means universal).

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
"English Style" could indicate that it is from another European country... or maybe from Germany itself.
But maybe it is from Britain and they advertised it on the fabric for the German costumer.

i agree; the likely explanation is that it is made in Europe for a non-UK market who like all things 'English'. that's the easy bit. but i don't think it was made in England;

what puzzles me is the woven writing which i've never seen on 30s-50s British fabric. you don't even see that lettering on 60s fabric, but you see it on ALL modern fabric, so i always assumed it came in somewhere in the 70s, and was ubiquitous by the 80s.

all i can think is that non UK weavers starting doing it before UK ones did. it seems impossible that i wouldn't have found a British example by now.
also, you often get selvage down the outside leg raw edge / inlay of British 30s-50s trousers. again, i've never seen any with woven writing.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred