Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

40s 50s carved wegde shoes.

Helen Troy

A-List Customer
I have recently started collecting South Pacific souvenir shoes from the 40s/50s. (If two pairs count as a collection, that is. But this is just the start!) I am talking about the wonderful shoes with carved, wooden wedge heels, that became popular as souvenirs. As I understand, many soldiers bought these for their sweethearts when stationed in the South Pacific during and after WW2.

I was wondering if some of you wise ladies can tell me a little more about this shoes: Their history, what to look for, what price is reasonable e.t.c. As a Norwegian, these shoes are nowhere to be found in local shops, so ebay have been my only marketplace, and my only place two learn about this shoes. I have not found info about them anywhere else. Ebay sellers varies a lot in their asking price, so I would like some help when trying to figure out when I get a bargain and when I`m getting ripped off.

To my judgment, three factors should determine the price:
1)The condition of the shoes, of course!
2)The quality of the craftsmanship.
3)The rareness/uniqueness of the shoes.

As far as i can judge, the most common style is the one where a little hut ore pagoda is carved into the wedge heel. There are many of these being offered at ebay. But I have also seen some more unique styles, featuring birds, sailboats, fishermen and who knows what carved into the shoes heel.

What Is a reasonable price to pay for a pair in good condition, good craftsmanship and with the usual hut-design? What is a reasonable price for a pair with the same qualities, but with a more rare heel design? Is there anything else I should know? Have I embarrassed myself with my lack of knowledge?

Any advice or comments will be appreciated!

katiepickle

New in Town
I bought mine on Ebay for $20. A local vintage shop sells them for upwards of $75. However, the toes on mine were in poor condition and I had them replaced by plain red leather at a cobbler. I also had a very thin rubber sole put on them so that i could actually wear them without sliding down wooden stairs. Had they been in better condition, I probably would not have put the rubber sole on them, but I was already destroying any value they may have held and I wanted to wear them. Repros are somewhere around $80-$100 a pair. I would be hesitant to pay anything over $40 on Ebay.

Helen Troy

A-List Customer
Thank you! Then I have so far paid reasonable prices. But then again, when I think of the craftsmanship, quality and style, almost any price is a steal...

Anybody else collecting these shoes?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn