Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A-2 inset sleeve opinions please

Brettafett

One Too Many
Hi guys,
Was wondering... any of you there owning A-2s with inset sleeves, ie Monarch, Star etc...
Do you find your arm movement, like when driving, on a bike, is more comfortable than a regular A-2 sleeve?
What I am getting at, is that, traditionally, an A-2's sleeve rides up when one hunches forward and the sleeves tend to pull back up the arm.... The reason many of us order our jackets with slightly longer arms....
I have never owned one with insets, so I was wondering what you think!
Thanks

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I own GW and original jackets (Doniger, Monarch, Star and Spiewak) with inset sleeves have they do not ride up like as those jackets which do not have inset sleeves.

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
Yes, I agree with Andrew. Having worn conventional (Perry) and inset/rotated (Doniger) sleeves, the latter do afford more arm movement. Nevertheless, neither offer as much movement as an AN-J-3 (bi-swing) sleeve.

Brettafett

One Too Many
I own GW and original jackets (Doniger, Monarch, Star and Spiewak) with inset sleeves have they do not ride up like as those jackets which do not have inset sleeves.
Hi Andrew, may I ask, how tall are you? And what size Original and repro A-2s do you normally wear?

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
If you look at the seams at the armpit they usually meet to form a cross. Not so in e.g. a Doniger sleeve, where the sleeve is rotated a little so the lower seam doesn't meet the side seam of the torso. It's apparently a more difficult construction, but the result is a more natural curve to the outer arm profile which fits more easily.

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The lower sleeve seam does not match up with the side seam of the jacket as the sleeve is slightly rotated or inset. Here's an example from my GW Monarch.

insetsleeve.jpg

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
If you look at the seams at the armpit they usually meet to form a cross. Not so in e.g. a Doniger sleeve, where the sleeve is rotated a little so the lower seam doesn't meet the side seam of the torso. It's apparently a more difficult construction, but the result is a more natural curve to the outer arm profile which fits more easily.

Thanks and makes sense. Even better is the "gusseted" sleeves of the G-1 which is probably why my G-1 is more user friendly than my A-2's. However, I believe that I prefer the straight back of the A-2 over the "bat wing" bi-swing back of the G-1.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
The lower sleeve seam does not match up with the side seam of the jacket as the sleeve is slightly rotated or inset. Here's an example from my GW Monarch.

insetsleeve.jpg

A picture is worth a thousand words. I just checked my Aero Bronco and noted that the seams do match up, unlike your GW Monarch. I have always noted that the sleeves of my Aero Bronco do ride up when I extend my arms. It is nice to learn something everyday. You have forgotten more about military jackets than I will ever know. Also I agree with what Dr H has to say regarding the AN-J-3 and almost bought one when I was at the G&B factory in San Diego a couple of years ago. Although I love the clean lines of the A-2, I prefer the more user friendly AN-J-3, even over the G-1 and M-442-A, although the mouton collar of the G-1 does offer significant warmth in the cockpit of a T-34B or T-28 on a cool morning.

D

Deleted member 16736

Andrew, is this John's semi-aniline russet? How's it breaking in?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jessmiller97