Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A not soo average male lounger needs your hair opinions

VictorAtomic

Familiar Face
Hello Everyone,

So I see most of the hair post in here are mainly about womens hair and color, I on the other hand like to have my hair looking great, I like to use cover up so im not dark around the eyes, and I like to change up the way I look when its needed.

But I gotten to the point now in my life where work has come before going out and putting my image first. I HATE IT, and feel like a slob most days.

Ive recently engourged myself with the time that was the 1920's-40s, I love the style, the mood and the way of life and it better suits me as no one wants to see a New Wave fiend in thier late 20's :)

So here is where I need some opinions, currently I had my hair cut ala Tyrone Powers, men of the 30s, side swipe to the side and back, I love it and it fits my large facial features better, but Ive always hated boring brown hair on myself and I have not dyed my hair in about 2 years (past it was jet black, Ash, mainly dark tones) and I want something in a respectable but yet eye catching red tone which I think my help my hazel eye color as well. So if i could get some opinions by my fellow loungers it would be appreciated. I know red really depends on skin color so I hope I can get some honest replies or suggestions.

From a soul at the beg. of my late 20's much thanks.

Here are some recent pixs and the last is my former self somewhere in New wave/indie Hollywood 2 years ago :)

head_half.jpg

head_coach.jpg

head.jpg
]
old.jpg

-Victor Atomic

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Hello VictorAtomic :)

The reason why there were so many posts on womens hair is because that is one of the only two women's forums here at the lounge. I moved your post to general attire, where there this has a better fit, and more mixed company traffic.

As far as your quiry, I think Id stick to an amber red, something dark if you do decide to go red :)

LD

Steve

Practically Family
I doubt not that you could pull it off, but I would say that the current color is most complimentary to you.

And just as an aside, you're not related to Tony Jaa by any chance, are you? ;)

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I think most people look best with their natural hair color (unless they are prematurely grey).

As for "darkness around [your] eyes," do you mean dark circles? Dark circles can be caused by a little fat deposit just under the eyes. The deposit can be surgically removed.

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Hiya Victor!
I have to agree with the others, I adore the dark hair on you, quite handsome! But as a stylist I also understand the need/want for change.

First of all, red means something different to everyone. Pretty much any shade lighter than your natural will *look* red next to your dark color. You may want to opt for an extremely fine weave foil of a chesnut brown just in the front to crown area. It will still glint red in the light. I definitely would not go ligther/redder all over.

If you think you want more red, ask a stylist for the color book. Point to what you think of as red. Have them hold that shade next to a swatch that matches your current color. Fan them out in the light and see what you think. Go lighter than you think if you are still going to slick it back. If you want the highlights to look more natural, have the stylist put the foils in at a diaganal. You may even want to add a few foils of a darker shade to make the red pop more.

You may also want to ask your stylist about Color Camo for men, when you just want to deepen the color a bit and liven it up.

As for the eyes, I've also heard that dark circles underneath can be caused by allergies..something to do with the capilaries there or whatever?? Can also be from not getting enough sleep.
But frankly I think it rather adds to your look. Why is it men can get away with things like that and women can't!

Nikki

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Another option you might like is Redken Shades, which last about 4 to 6 weeks. Fades a bit with each shampoo. You could do a dark brown mixed with some red and it would be super shiny, low maintenence, ect.
Nikki

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Allergies don't help dark circles, and neither does a lack of sleep. But chronic dark circles can be shadows from fat deposits under the eye.

DHC makes a product called Eye Bright that helps reduce puffiness and adds a slight highlight to the area under the eye.

VictorAtomic

Familiar Face
Hi,

Thanks for all the replies :) I've gone over all your advice and will take it into consideration! I agree natural hair color does look good on most people but I tend to bore of it when looking in the mirror (you know how those days are). Looks like I will prob go with some carfully placed fine red tints as 'ohairas' recommends or Color Camo sounds perfect as well. (I'll keep you posted)

As for the under eyes, its from too lil sleep and too much sleep. I work nites so them circles arnt going any where...MAC can be your best friend.

Oh and thanks for the compliments as well :D ... and I have no idea who Tony Jaa is so thats a no :)

Much love - Vixs

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Just a note that the color camo would be to make your hair darker and more shiny, without being *too* noticable. I don't believe they had any red shades at this time tho.. mostly very ashy. It's intended for guys with grey hair.. however, I was at a hairshow and they used it on an 18 year old guy with dark hair to just make it richer and it looked fab. Redken makes it, along with Shades.
Nikki

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buhles