Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A True Find

hatflick1

Practically Family
I have discovered hats on ebay.
And unearthed fedora treasures in antique and thrift shops.
But this is a first!
I found a silver belly fedora, size 7 1/2, on the curb up the street (Hollywood). It sat among other scattered clothing items. Looked as though someone just happened to figure it was time to clean out his car trunk.
Anyway, I brought it home and have started cleaning it up.
I have no idea what it is.
Resembles an older "Open Road" or discontinued Resistol "San Antonio". Except the crown is somewhat higher, diamond shapped, pinched front and back. The brim is 2 1/2 inches.
Here's the really interesting feature: there is on each side of the crown a circular series of perforations, almost like a wingtip shoe. They do not actually go through the buttery fur felt, just decorate the surface.
There is no sign of a maker on the sweatband which reads: Hutchinson's, Los Angeles. I figure that was the name of the store from which it came.
Any ideas out there?
Nope, I don't have a digital camera so I need to write the 1000 words.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Here's the really interesting feature: there is on each side of the crown a circular series of perforations, almost like a wingtip shoe. They do not actually go through the buttery fur felt, just decorate the surface.

Sorry pal, but you can't describe something unusual like that to a roomful of hat junkies and not show pictures..
:eusa_doh:

hatflick1

Practically Family
Absolutely right!
I will attempt to carouse my daughter away from her musical career and drive over to help analog-dad post a picture of this rare hat.
As it captures a western feel, I tied a rolled black bandana around the crown over the thin Open Road-type ribbon. Yeah, it talks to me!
I half expect to see a poster on a phone pole: LOST HAT. Got out of closet and ran off. Reward.
Cheers!

Seeking enlightenment...one hat at a time.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
This hat sounds fairly familiar. If memory serves me correctly this shape of hat was disscussed & pictures posted about 6 to 8 months ago. The diamond shaped crease with the pinches fron & rear are what recall this memory. It may be this one I'm thinking of.
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=10637&page=2&highlight=diamond+crown
As far as the design is concerned it sounds line someone tried to put vent holes in the crown in a pattern like deanglen's favorite campaign hats.
That's all that come to mind without som pictures for reference.

Cheers!

Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot