Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Accent, you ain't the positive

dr greg

One Too Many
I just saw an old Mitchum film called One Minute To Zero set in the Korean War, quite graphic in its use of real footage, and confronts some pretty dark stuff as well, not a bad effort,....but, there's a scene where RAAF Mustangs arrive to give air support to the GI's on the ground, and seriously, I have never heard more ridiculous attempts at Australian accents in my life...appalling, even worse than Coburn in the Great Escape, and I thought that wouldn't be humanly possible. A bad ventriloquist from the bowels of the Bronx trying to imitate Cary Grant imitating the Duke of Windsor underwater couldn't have been worse.
I nominate it as most dreadful Hollywood Aussie Accent of all time, and there's been a few.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Aussie Accent Problems in Movies

Using Cockney accented Brits is also painful...eventhough there is Cockney at the base of the Aussie accent...especially the bad grammar version..

Talbot

One Too Many
I dare you to watch the John Ford/John Wayne film 'Donovans Reef' and not lament at the Aussie accents.

Actually, I love this film.

The film makers and film going public in the US had no idea what an Aussie accent sounded like back in '63.

We were still in the depths of cultural cringe, with most of our overseas actors trying to sound like they were from the motherland, so it figures.

Depends on your taste, but a good Aussie film from around this time is 'Theyre a Wierd Mob'. Its a bit strine cheesy, but I like it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic