Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

actress Moira Shearer dies

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
The actress Moira Shearer, best known for her role as victoria page in Powell and Pressburger's 'The Red Shoes' died today aged 80.

Moira.jpg

if you haven't seen The Red Shoes add it to your DVD must-see list now !
it's a great film full of beautiful cinematography, characters and clothing reference.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
update

(from edinburghnews.com)...

FORMER ballet star and actress Moira Shearer has died aged 80.
She is survived by her husband, Edinburgh-born veteran broadcaster Ludovic Kennedy, whom she married in 1950.

Born Moira King in Dunfermline in 1926, the actress danced ballet from the age of six and made her international debut with the International Ballet at 15.
She joined the Sadler's Wells aged 16 and entered films as the ballerina star of the 1948 film The Red Shoes and Tales of Hoffman (1951). She also appeared on the London stage.
In recent years Lady Kennedy reviewed books for a national newspaper and went on to write two books of her own.
The dancer was born and grew up in Barum House in Dunfermline, which was built for her grandfather James Shearer, in 1880.

In 2000 the size-three satin pair of red ballet shoes worn by the actress in The Red Shoes were sold for £14,100 at auction.

The film, made by the veteran movie duo Powell and Pressburger, is still considered one of the greats of British cinema, and was nominated for four Oscars.
Her nephew is Richard Calvocoressi, Director of the Scottish National Gallery of Modern Art.

Vanessa

One Too Many
How sad, I hadn't heard. A stunning movie, which I will also add is a must-see. Finely packaged DVD, as well, with extras not usually seen with older movies.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
hey, did you notice on the DVD extras....
Martin Scorsese's collection of "Red Shoes" memorabilia

i bet he bought the shoes !

Now, if we could just get a picture of him trying them on. :cool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
islamicjankari