Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Adventure outfit

erik7181

New in Town
Does anyone know where I can find info on what the colonial hunters wore, white hunters, maybe the boers. Im trying to do an adventure set but 1. im not sure where to look for info and two I don't know where I can go to get the cloths. I appreciate any help.
Cheers. Erik

Last edited:

Canadian

One of the Regulars
Well,

According to my grandfather, they wore outfits which were a cross between rubbish-collectors and battle dress.

One of the books he published remarks on an outfitting company which flew to northern Newfoundland. The pilot and his assistant purchased tweed jackets, plus-fours and their outfits were torn to shreds within hours of landing. The clients wore rough woolen tunics, rough trousers and tall boots.

That said, when I go into the desert country I wear a khaki shirt, a khaki scarf, a brimmed cap, a pair of inexpensive khaki trousers and ankle boots. When I hunt, I generally wear the same, except that sometimes I wear modern army battledress with a shooting vest overtop. It depends on how much muck I'm going through.

I seem to recall reading that for African safaris, the more wealthy individuals would have safari shirts, jackets and boots (similar to a Clarks's desert boot) made for them in India by local tailors before proceeding to Africa. I suspect at that time, there was a limited amount of RTW safari kit, unlike now. My favorite khaki shirt came from Sears and my pants from Old Navy, so you can, if you look, piece together a proper outfit. Military surplus also helps.

As for the Boers, think of lots of leather jerkins, woolen trousers and tunics. They were hardly a military force and wore pretty much what they wore around their farms.

Tom

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo