Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Highwayman - 38 Sizing ?

jpk_NJ

One Too Many
Can anyone tell me what the "normal" standard measurements are on a Aero Highwayman 38. Im trying to hunt down a used one and have seen some odd sizes. Thanks

Back Length - 25
Sleeves - 25.5
Shoulders - 19
Pit - ?
Waist ?

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Mine has a 23" pit across. Most of the older ones I've seen for sale here have a 22-22.5" pit.
The shoulders of mine are a tad less than 18.5". Older (stock) ones fall from 18-18.5".

jpk_NJ

One Too Many
Found one for sale on Aero's page but it has some weird measurement.

38 Tag
SHoulder - 19
Back - 25
Waist - 21.5
Pit-Pit - 23.25

Pit-pit seems oddly large. All the other measurements are good on this jacket and will fit me. I really need a 21.5 pit. How bad / loose would this look as is?

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
If the measurement is correct (and I would assume it is as it is Aero doing the measuring), it is simply too big for you. I'm not really a Highwayman fan, but I have looked at quite a few used versions in the 38-40 size range. I'm a size 40 and the P-2-P measurements for the size 38's have been to too big for me. It is an oversized jacket and you'll need to size down.

wdw

One Too Many
If say that if the pit size and a slim profile is critical, then the HWM isn't the jacket for him. Most of their other short jackets, particularly the new ones, are a slimmer cut.

jpk_NJ

One Too Many
Not really looking for a skinny/trim fit... I want some room just not soo much that Im swimming in it. That highwayman specd above is good except for that crazy pit measurement. This isn't for riding in, just casual attire.

Xenophon

One of the Regulars
If say that if the pit size and a slim profile is critical, then the HWM isn't the jacket for him. Most of their other short jackets, particularly the new ones, are a slimmer cut.

+1

Forget about the size numbers and just go by actual measurements. The HWM and jackets like the half belt or any '50s model have a wide cut and hence are quickly seen as 'too big' by today's standards that favour a fitting cut. I made the same mistake with my half belt deluxe and now own a jacket that's at least 1 size too large according to my personal tastes. I like it very much for the quality, leather etc but am currently thinking about selling it off because the sizing issue annoys me. You should also know that Aero, when you ask them about sizing, will try their best but like any tailor, if they have to err, they'd rather recommend something a bit too large than too small. It's not an exact science I'm afraid, depends also on what you want to wear under it as well as personal preference.

Go by actual measurements; their '20-'40 jackets and the cafe racers have a period cut that's more form fitting and there your normal suit size will probably be the jacket size to be ordered, assuming you have an average build.

IGNORE TAGS.
As to the pit to pit numbers, the general rule o' thumb is pit to pit, x2, minus 4.
So, 21" pit to pit, x2=42". Minus 4" = 38. Size 38 jacket is as such.
The other thing to look out for here is the drop between the pits and the waist. You might fit fine in the pits, but have a really skinny build and have this potato sack-looking jacket when done. If you're waist measures a true - NOT TAG - 34", then note that in the jacket size. You'll want to compensate and have it tapered - assuming you want it that way.

wdw

One Too Many
Hi again, jpk. I suppose what I meant was that the standard addition to the chest size for a HWM pit-pit seems to be around 6-8", which is why people often come down a size. That's presumably why it's always referred to as a boxy fit. Some like that fit, some don't.

If you want a jacket that's only 5" more than your chest size, something like the 30s HB, Dustbowl, Original Pioneer and no doubt quite a few others are more likely to give you what you want in the chest size you'd normally buy, with much less risk of you swimming in it. If you intend to layer, then the HWM is a good choice, but if you don't want to layer, then I’d suggest that you maybe go for a style that is naturally slightly trimmer. It just depends how much you want an HWM.

Xenophon

One of the Regulars
IGNORE TAGS.
As to the pit to pit numbers, the general rule o' thumb is pit to pit, x2, minus 4.
So, 21" pit to pit, x2=42". Minus 4" = 38. Size 38 jacket is as such.
The other thing to look out for here is the drop between the pits and the waist. You might fit fine in the pits, but have a really skinny build and have this potato sack-looking jacket when done. If you're waist measures a true - NOT TAG - 34", then note that in the jacket size. You'll want to compensate and have it tapered - assuming you want it that way.

Same problem here....in suits I have 2 fav. brands which I know fit me off the rack because they have a good drop -Paul Smith and the Zegna z-line- and there I can just order right off the internet. If I want anything else design- or clothwise then I have to get it made to measure and pay a fortune. But for (leather) jackets it's a minefield out there for me. I usually supply my normal suit size + measurements of shoulder, breast, stomach, waist, hips and back+sleeve length and explain the type of fit I want to achieve. Aero's been very accommodating, the size mismatch on the first jacket was entirely my fault because I foolishy went by my suit size/jacket tag size only.

I have this too, but I'm larger. 48+ top, 40" waist. JC made my last GW Ventura as good as I could ever hope for. Elastic waists help an A-2 or G-1 type jacket easier, but many don't like those.
Some models like the HWM and my 50's HBD are meant to fit in a more boxy fashion, and look fine with some slack in the hips.
Tell whoever is making your jacket to taper if that's what you need/want. They don't read minds lol

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Found one for sale on Aero's page but it has some weird measurement.

38 Tag
SHoulder - 19
Back - 25
Waist - 21.5
Pit-Pit - 23.25

Pit-pit seems oddly large. All the other measurements are good on this jacket and will fit me. I really need a 21.5 pit. How bad / loose would this look as is?

That does seem large - hence the over-sized pattern comment people have made. Many of my size 42 have measurements the same and slightly smaller than those.

schitzo

Suspended
I'd be wary of sizing down too. When I sized down for a highwayman, many moons ago, the armholes on the end result were too tight. It made me overheat in that area if I ever wore it for more than 5 mins and was the reason I had to get rid.

If getting one I suggest you accept that this is a looser fitting jacket and buy your correct size. The only compromise I can think of - and this is assuming you want a jacket for winter - would be to get one shearling lined

Highwaymanman

A-List Customer
Getting a shortened bi-swing back may allow you to size down some. It means you don't get the cool back yoke but the one piece back with the gussets at the shoulder looks very cool too and gives you some extra movement. It doesn't add overly much bulk either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats