Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds spring line - new spectators

Flying Scotsman

One of the Regulars
Apologies if this was posted earlier (I've been on vacation and completely incommunicado, no phones, internet, TV, etc., for the last week and a half).

Looks like AE has a new spectator this spring...

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/product_6456752_1_40000000001_-1?contractId=100&parent_category_rn=0&categoryId=109902&&imageType=2

One option for this shoe is "Bourbon Aniline Calf/Bone Calf", #3868. This must be the one that the salesman was talking about when I ordered my Broadstreet made-to-order spectators...

cookie

I'll Lock Up
AE Specs

On some of the other forums there has been a lot of talk about the AE failure to get a little bit sexy.

I think this poor copy of the Mellys says it all and not to bring back the brown Broadstreets is a mistake IMHO.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
They don't seem to want to push the 2-tone. It's only pictured as a small inset.

As a 10+ year Broadstreet owner I don't necessarily think a slenderer silhouette is a bad idea. As well-made and comfy as the B-street is, it does present something of a conventional "beefy" shape.

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
cookie said:
On some of the other forums there has been a lot of talk about the AE failure to get a little bit sexy.

I think this poor copy of the Mellys says it all and not to bring back the brown Broadstreets is a mistake IMHO.

I think the new spectator is not bad looking.

The reason they don't offer the Broadstreets in brown, I've read elsewhere, is that when they did offer them, the black ones outsold them twenty to one. So not bringing them back may be a mistake from an aesthetic standpoint, but not from a business one. [huh]

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
While I like the buck, it seems that AE is the one company smart enough to use a slightly off white. Am I mistaken. They call it bone, and it seems to be just off white enough to make the shoes look way better than all the others.

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
reetpleat said:
While I like the buck, it seems that AE is the one company smart enough to use a slightly off white. Am I mistaken. They call it bone, and it seems to be just off white enough to make the shoes look way better than all the others.

It is indeed off white, actually more of a cream color. As to whether it makes it look better than stark white, well, I guess that's up to you. I do wish the brown parts were a lighter shade.

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
The Park Avenue is on AE's 5 last, while the Broadstreet is on the 3 last. I don't have personal experience with the Broadstreet, but the 5 last is held to be AE's narrowest. Therefore, I should think you would be safe assuming the 3 last is at least a bit wider.

If you want more definite information, do some searching on the Ask Andy About Clothes forums. Threads discussing the characteristics of various AE lasts are numerous there, to say the least.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Shoe Stretching Update

The AE McCallisters 11C did stretch a bit but it was not very successful. Maybe they have the Park Ave last they certanly look like it.

Thanks for the advice - it makes me think stretching B'Streets 11C to 11 D may work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot