Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Antique Greek Copper Wall Plaque with Warrior Fighting a Lion

Purplesage

One Too Many
Antique Greek High relief stamped copper wall plaque depicting a Greek warrior fighting a lion or beast. I believe it is supposed to depict Hercules fighting a lion but I can't say for sure. It's a very detailed and beautiful plaque showing some light patina on the back where the ring hanger is attached. It measures 17X17, approx 54" in circumference. $245.00 plus shipping. The plaque is pretty light so shipping should not be that much.

photo2-85_zpsb18e61c4.jpg

photo5-117_zps970b6074.jpg

photo2-84_zpsb573d435.jpg

photo1-81_zps80c8ae5d.jpg

photo5-88_zpscd15392e.jpg

Purplesage

One Too Many
I was informed by a lounger knowledgeable in antiques that this piece is contemporary and therefore not an antique. When I bought it a couple of years ago I was told it was an antique. Since I am not a subject matter expert I will consider the info provided by a fellow lounger to be accurate. With that being said, it is still a nice detailed piece.

Bump $175.00 plus shipping which is less than what I have invested in the piece.

Mr.Astor

Banned
Antiquities from Greece come with a tag,they are not allowed to leave the country without it. From my experience being their. Reproduction pieces also have to have a tag a little round lead medallion stating from where the reproduction piece was made and that it is a repro. JMHO

Purplesage

One Too Many
It's possible that this piece had some sort of a tag or medallion at one point but it is no longer there. I had no inclination that it fell into the antiquities category.

ideaguy

One Too Many
IMHO-it's a really good representation of what was being sold in the 50's ; nothing to sneeze at, worth what you are asking,
but not an antique. Showed photos to a friend in the business, European dealer in antiquities and copies therof, and he
pegged it for a '20's piece without my input. Lot of factors go into Greco-Roman antiquities dealing, most of them being
the politics of the day and the closeness to a World War-everything got turned upside down, and when pieces came out
that skirted Customs, auction houses, and moneyed dealers, they were tucked away from our country's prying eye dept.
One aside- check out the movie "The Monument Men"-fair amount of it was right on target, and amazing stories if you choose
to follow a now well-trod path...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR