Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone know anything about Kudu hide?

Don Tomaso

A-List Customer
As stated in another thread, I have a Pioneer in Aero's variant of Kudu (this is real anthelope, not a made-up stuff from calf) and I think it's pretty nice. Not as tough as horse and tending to a certain baggieness, but very comfortable and of a pretty nice color and grain.

Pioneer4.jpg Pioneer5.jpg Pioneer7.jpg

And, yes, it is scarred. Not too much, though.;)

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
If I remember, Aero said that it's hard to get stuff that isn't heavily scarred and irregular - those kudu live hard! - so you can end up with a lot of waste material just to make one satisfactory jacket.

simonc

Practically Family
Not just that Craig, Denny told me, when I was inquiring, the hide was a bit of beast to deal with as it wouldn't run through the sewing machines, as it was so thick and slippery, they just thought it wasn't worth the bother.

hipcheck

New in Town
The great and interesting thing about the Kudu is the scarring IMHO. It gives the jacket a lot of character. The Dakota I have really stands out with they way the leather looks.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Horses for courses, so to speak. I'm not a massive fan of it, though I do think that kudu Highwayman is rather nice.

Don Tomaso

A-List Customer
Well, it is very nice anyway and my grab-to-go-jacket. The only problem is that the leather is quite soft and the push-button for the inside-pocket seems to come loose... Solution: I don't close the pocket any longer. :crazy: :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy