Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are you "Pretty in Pink?" guys...

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Eastmans have just launched their copy of the WW2 'pink' army pants (not as bad as it sounds guys!).

ELC PINK OFFICER PANTS

To be honest, they look very close to the real deal! I have a pair that more or less match them. Problem with mine being 60+ years old, they are just a tad more fragile than ones made today (such as these Eastmans).

I'd be interested to hear what any of you have to say about them, if you get them (they aren't cheap at over ?Ǭ£100 UK sterling).

Others here who are into their AAF gear would say, go to WPG for your pink trousers or at a push get a pair of tan-pink police officer's trousers (although they don't have that early 40's cut to them, but are easier on the pocket!).

Gentlemen! what say you about where you shop for your pinks? I tend to go for originals, but...every so often it can go belly up with the sound of rippppp!! not good.

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Guess I'm one of those lucky guys that all of the smaller sizes will fit. I don't have much of a problem finding them in my size, and they're a hell of a lot cheaper than $176! In fact, the last pair I ran across was 3" too big in the waistband.

ELC does a great job of reproducing stuff, but they've always been way out of my price range.

Baggers

Practically Family
They look great, but will they be available to folks here in the U.S. throught HPA?

For a less expensive option, has anybody any experience with WW2 Impressions' version? The one, small, badly done picture they have on their site doesn't give me enough confidence to take a leap of faith and simply order a pair without more visual information. As for Jerry at WPG, he's out of my size.

Cheers!

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Price is more like $205...

The Wingnut said:
They're a hell of a lot cheaper than $176! ELC does a great job of reproducing stuff, but they've always been way out of my price range.
...in today's dollar/pound conversion. I think this is VERY outrageous, especially given my previous observation about the fact that their "pink" shirts are more brown than pink/taupe. I have both original WWII vintage pinks and the reproductions from WPG. They are close in color and I found the WPGs to be a pretty good value at $125.00.

BUT, I agree with The Wingnut -- Original pinks are still more widely available than people might be led to believe. You just have to be P-A-T-I-E-N-T!

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
frankly, I prefer buttonfly.

Well I have originals w/ both the buttonfly & zip. But I'm a 32waist so its not very hard or pricey to find originals.
And really I only wear them w/ the chocolate tunic.

For walking around in an A-2, I'd tend to go more in khakis or the chocolate trousers.

The Wingnut

One Too Many
I have a tough time finding the chocolate trousers. I've one pair that's too small on me, and that's a pretty tough thing to accomplish, considering my 29" waist and 30" inseam! You'd think those would command the higher price.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
The Wingnut said:
I have a tough time finding the chocolate trousers. I've one pair that's too small on me, and that's a pretty tough thing to accomplish, considering my 29" waist and 30" inseam! You'd think those would command the higher price.

Yeah, its always an eyeopener when you find a realllly small pair of military pants.
I once saw a pair of standard army wool trousers that were 26x30. Now thats one skinny trooper.

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
An explanation...

D-Day-Doll said:
I think pinks are way easier to find than chocolate pants.
There are two reasons (or more) why pink AAF pants were/are more prevalent:

1. The Officer's Guide makes it clear that dark green (chocolate) pants should ONLY be worn with the chocolate tunic if there is an exact color match (i.e. purchased at the same place/time). The OG notes that wearing the pink pants obviates the need for the "match."

2. The dk green pants were the standard for wear in the field (pinks weren't authorized for that purpose) and most likely tended to get the hardest wear.

ZF

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Agreed. I have an original B-13, and I've seen it next to the WPG B-13...there's a big difference.

P1010007.jpg

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
D-Day-Doll said:
I'm not a big fan of WPG's B-13. The fabric is goofy. Its kind of fuzzy and pills after you wear it. My husband had to shave his B-13 with a fabric shaver to make it look not quite as ugly. The B-13 is a sharp looking jacket but the fabric bothers me!

Uggh. Say no more. Thanks a ton for your observation!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner