Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bald Bogart?

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
Dapper Dan said:
He's definitely losing it there. There's a portrait of the Bogart family a few months before his death, and he is almost completely without hair in it.

Hmm. Interesting. I'd say he's a long way from completely without hair there--my father has less than that (but still has a bit on the sides), and he's been balding for 30+ years.

MikeBravo

One Too Many
Dapper Dan said:
B_B_B.jpg

He's definitely losing it there. There's a portrait of the Bogart family a few months before his death, and he is almost completely without hair in it.

That's an interesting pic. Looks like it was taken in Australia, though I didn't know Bogie and Bing had been in Australia at the same time.

Anyone know where it was taken?

In case anyone was wondering about Bing's hat, it is an Australian Army "slouch hat". (We claim it as ours but it was actually copied from the Cape Town, South Africa Police force during the Boer War) ;)

And by the way, didn't Bogie love his bow ties?!?! I was watching a documentary on him a while ago and he often wore one off screen. Anyone seen him in a bow tie in a movie?

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Dapper Dan said:
Wingnut, that kind of saddens me. I'm not really sure why, but that bothers me a little.

I know what you mean. I feel a bit of that as well. It's nice to think of Bogie as the 'everyman' actor of the '30s, sort of an exception to the 'beautiful people' that Hollywood revolves around.

Everyone's got their problems...no excuse, of course, just an explanation. He was still a great actor and personality.

Feraud

Bartender
MikeBravo said:
And by the way, didn't Bogie love his bow ties?!?! I was watching a documentary on him a while ago and he often wore one off screen. Anyone seen him in a bow tie in a movie?
In a Lonely Place, Casablanca.

Dapper Dan

One of the Regulars
Speaking of "In a Lonely Place," that was a helluva movie, eh? I think that's one of the few Bogie movies I've seen where the man is just about completely unlikeable. I'm not counting the movies in the '30s where he was always the badguy gangster second male lead, just the ones he starred in.

It's like they took everything likeable about Bogart (toughness, masculinity, frankness) and heightened the qualities until they became brutality and paranoia. Very interesting watch.

Feraud

Bartender
Dapper Dan said:
Speaking of "In a Lonely Place," that was a helluva movie, eh? I think that's one of the few Bogie movies I've seen where the man is just about completely unlikeable. I'm not counting the movies in the '30s where he was always the badguy gangster second male lead, just the ones he starred in.

It's like they took everything likeable about Bogart (toughness, masculinity, frankness) and heightened the qualities until they became brutality and paranoia. Very interesting watch.
It is a great film. I never tire of talking about this one.
Bogey certainly shows how his acting skills in the film. He is not playing a one dimensional "tough guy" but a person with real problems.
His problems are not given a lot of screen time other than a quick mention but they come into play in a big way in the film. This is so unlike modern films that need to desperately give the characters a back story for us to identify with.

A classic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot