Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Sequals

Mycroft

One Too Many
Ok, most of the time the second movie and onwards are bad, but there are exceptions, here the list to start:

Blues Brothers 2000
Indian Jones, the other 2
Star Wars (the originals)
Episode 2 and 3 (better than Episode 1)
Force 10 from Navarone
James Bond(s)
The Transporter 2

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I think the third Harry Potter film was the best so far. (Not that I'm a huge fan - I think the books are, for the most part, vastly overrated, but how can I really criticize a series that has today's kids *reading*?!?)

Very nice avatar of The Question, BTW. Justice League Unlimited has surprised me with some really strong stories recently.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
I myself think the third Harry Potter film lost some of the old school charm that the first two created. Striped sweats and jeans and removing the sense that the series was timeless by putting modern items left and right. The first two were by no means set in the past, though they did have the aesthetic flare of the 1940's strewn throughout.

Star Trek II is better than 1.
Superman II Is my favourite of the 4.

And Chronologically Raiders of the lost ark (the sequal to Temple of Doom) is better than Temple of Doom (The prequal to Raiders).

Mycroft

One Too Many
Matt Deckard said:
I myself think the third Harry Potter film lost some of the old school charm that the first two created. Striped sweats and jeans and removing the sense that the series was timeless by putting modern items left and right. The first two were by no means set in the past, though they did have the aesthetic flare of the 1940's strewn throughout.

Star Trek II is better than 1.
Superman II Is my favourite of the 4.

And Chronologically Raiders of the lost ark (the sequal to Temple of Doom) is better than Temple of Doom (The prequal to Raiders).

Well put, about the Indy movies Mr. Deckard, is this how they were truly designed to be in the mind of Lucas and Spielberg?

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Lets hope that 'Pirates of the Carabbean 2: Dead Mans Chest' will be better than the 'Curse of the Black Pearl'.

But better sequels woud be Austin Powers: 'The Spy who Shagged Me', and 'Goldmember'. Both better than the first.

Cheers!

Dan

Feraud

Bartender
The Godfather II, Predator II, and Terminator II were certainly equal if not a better than the original.
Aliens & The Road Warrior are better than their originals.

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Son of Kong. Not as great as 'King' but great film nonetheless (one word?)
Can't complain about any of the Thin Man sequels either!
More sons: Son of Frankenstein and Ghost of Frankenstein. Bela Lugosi is wonderful in both.

shamus

Suspended
DanielJones said:
But better sequels woud be Austin Powers: 'The Spy who Shagged Me', and 'Goldmember'. Both better than the first.

Cheers!

Dan

I am looking forward to the new Pirates film, but I would have to disagree on Goldmember as better than the first. I though Austin Powers was a really excellent comedy/spoof. I felt Goldmember was squeezing the film for every last laugh.

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
GODFATHER II
CURSE OF THE CAT PEOPLE
THE BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN
THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY
SANJURO
...ah, I give up.

Mycroft

One Too Many
MudInYerEye said:
GODFATHER II
CURSE OF THE CAT PEOPLE
THE BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN
THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY
SANJURO
...ah, I give up.

In refernce to THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY, I found a Fist Full of Dollars was almost as good, but I am not sure yet, how was A Few Dollars More?

Mycroft

One Too Many
I just saw the Last Days of Patton, it was ok, but cool to see the General's story about his pre-WWII explotes. Though, it was made for TV, but you can find it ever so often in movie places.

swinggal

One Too Many
Aliens, awesome sequal.

I loved the first one and it still scares me today. The second one was great too and fit perfectly storywise. After that...don't bother. I was sooooooooooo dissapointed when I went to see the third and Newt and Hicks were dead within the first 5 minutes of the film!!! I could never understand why the built up those two characters so much, just to kill them off. Made no sense at all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic