Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best way to clean straw hats

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
What is the best way to clean vintage straw hats? I have a womens, 1930s, natural-colored straw, panama-style hat, but it's a little grimy looking from years of storage. What is the best way to freshen it up and make it look a little cleaner? The hat doesn't have any stains or discoloration, just more of a dusty, all-over bit of dirt from years of storage. I'm afraid to take the steamer to it because I've read that it can shrink vintage straw hats. Any suggestions?

Edward

Bartender
I'd like to know too - last night on the way home from the office i got a stain on my Panama brim from the %^&*ing free newspaper and it's print you could wipe off the page...

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
I have used naptha on Panama hats before with success. Any clear alcohol should do it - just go carefully and let it evaporate as you wipe. They don't like being soaked with H2O, so you're right about the steaming. If a hat is just dusty, try dusting it first.

Alan

Edward

Bartender
White spirit ok, then?

I'll have to pick up some clear alcohol. I'm sure noone else will ever notice, but it's the sort of thing bugs me...

Re steaming, is it ok to leave the hat in the bathroom when I'm in / after I've been in the shower? i thought that might help it from going dry and brittle?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace