Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Borsalino from Vintage Silhouettes

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
I buy fedoras on a very impulse basis. I kinda just woke up yesterday morning and decided I wanted a new fedora, a real fedora - a vintage fedora (I only own a couple moderns), and since I wanted it NOW (and because I am pretty skeptical about my ability at using ebay righteously), I drove up to Rodeo to Art's store. (I live in Berkeley).

Art wasn't there - (Or else I would have gotten the whole hat tour, the nice lady told me) - so I settled for what the showroom had to offer. I expected to pay 80-100 dollars, but there was this gray borsalino behind the glass that immediately caught my attention and, ultimately, seduced me into buying it.

Hurt my wallet, but I can tell already that I'll wear it often enough to make it worth it - (about the same as I paid for my modern borsalino anyway, so I shouldn't complain).

It has a shorter brim than it seems most of you guys prefer, which I guess maybe means it comes from a later age?, but I definitely like it.

Any information about it I would highly appreciate it - especially in terms of what year(s) it might be. Oh and please confirm that I should well love it.

newfedora3.jpg

newfedora2.jpg
newfedora.jpg

The Wingnut

One Too Many
It looks great! That's about the brim width that I prefer, myself. That's possibly a '30s Borso judging from the crown height and brim width. I have a '30s Knox in about the same style(brim and crown wise) & color.

The brim edge is a bit confusing...is that welted? Almost appears to be a Cavanagh edge, but I can't recall if Borso had their own Cav edge or not.

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
I don't know who Winona is, but the place was pretty yappity with women of every age hanging out in back there.

Hah, oh no - did I tattle on them?

Victor

One of the Regulars
I don't know much about hats yet but I do know one thing about this one,it really fits the shape of your face in the picture. Good choice!
I stopped in to Arts shop today and was pleased to be greeted by him by name and was really made to feel welcome. I think I found my Panama too but now have to work out my finances. No rush though, its a summer hat and Art can make another just like it if this one sells.

Cabinetman

A-List Customer
Jack, yes, that is a great hat and looks tremendous on you. I'd say the right shape and size (brim, crown, etc) for you. Like Wingnut, I think this suits me better, too. And to my knowledge, Borsalino did in fact have "their own" Cavanagh edge. I read it at the Lounge.

Art, anything like this in brown?? I've looked at your website many times, but see that it remains unchanged in the hat department.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Winona Ryder

That's pretty much normal for the shop Jack, with my wife, Kathy, and mother in law Bev it gets pretty umm, chatty downstairs. That's one reason I hide in the hat room alot. :) Also, Winona was trying on just about everything in the store so there was plenty of action I'm sure. She is a very sweet girl that just loves vintage.
Nathan, I'm afraid I am dealing with another imminent death in my family and am traveling to Oregon again on a regular basis to help with the care so the website has again slipped. I believe that I can come up with some nice hats in your size, just need the time to focus. Soon

Art

Cabinetman

A-List Customer
No problem, Art. Thanks for the response. I am really only now starting to get some kind of routine and schedule I can stick to. My dad died in November and, while we're all doing famously, it did take a fair amount of time to reach a new point of "normalcy".

Best to you and yours and safe travels.

N

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
thanks for the thoughts Nathan, my father died Thanksgiving '03 after a battle with dimentia and was beginning to normalize when this news hit. At least this will be quicker than his. uggg

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Congratulations.

Regardless of age it suits you. I think Art is right, later model (late 50's or 60's) done in an older fashion.

You'll find if you have a good vintage hat it is spades above any modern that can be made today.

Now we need to get you in a suit!

gcollins

One of the Regulars
Art Fawcett said:
HI Jack,
Were you there when Winona was?

I guess Art is just being humble. After my affair with Winona Ryder ended, she seemed to still dig my hat habit. So she pops up to Rodeo every now and again to buy a hat from Art and flirt with him over lunch at the mexican restaurant (wow, with the fresh tortilla!) down the street. Some guys have all the luck! :cool:

Seriously, Art, hang in there with the family issues up in Oregon. We're there with you.

Regards,
G

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy