Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Candle Stick phones. Does anyone here own and use one?

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
I have always loved these phones! :)
The design is just so totally retro. There is no mistaking one of these for a more "modern" phone from the 30's or later.

I want to get one of these, but know very little about how to go about making one work.:eusa_doh: It seems that I would need a seperate ringer box, and wiring is, well, anyone's guess I suppose. [huh] Some I have seen don't even have a dial. I suppose that if this type could be made to work, that they would be good for incoming calls only.
It's ironic, (and frustrating) to me how this "primitive" technology is beyond my grasp. :eusa_doh:
Or maybe it's not so difficult at all? Maybe someone else has a working candle stick phone, and could share their technical expertise with those of us in need of enlightenment?

I'm kind of sorry that I missed putting in my bid on this auction from ebay tonight. This looks like the easiest solution to this problem.
But a vintage phone I think, should be just that,....purely vintage. This one, however quick and easy, would simply lack the charm of a working original.:(

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6625184126&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
They do normally need a ringer box. And with the candlesticks, you need to distinguish between "Sidetone" and "Anti-sidetone" circuitry, the phone and the "subset" need to match. "Sidetone" is when you hear your own voice in the receiver, it can be very distracting. In the late '20s, they discovered how to reduce that by using "anti-sidetone" circuitry.

As to non-dial phones, you can get a hand-held touch tone generator that's battery powered. You hold it up to the transmitter and punch the buttons.

I don't have a candlestick yet, mainly because good examples can cost really outrageous money, far more than a 302 or even a 202. I've seen nice ones go for over $500 to $800 and more on eBay.

Big Man

I have an old candlestick phone that my grandfather Dobson had. According to him, it was the first telephone at Drexel Furniture (he was a lumber byer for Drexel back in the 30's). He gave it to me to play with years and years ago.

Sometime in the late 1960's a family friend who worked for the phone company re-wired it so it would work. The modern (well, "modern" to the 60's) "guts" of the phone are in a separate box. The phone doesn't ring, because at the time the phone company charged you a per-phone rate (they knew how many phones you had because the ringer drew power - or some such thing). Any way, you can talk on it.

I still have the phone and it's on my desk at home. I still enjoy talking on it.

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
I once bought a replica made in India. Looks fairly alright, but it's crap technically.

When I'm grown up once, I'll have a 202 on my desk, and a candlestick either in the lobby or on the bedstand.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Complications,.....

Tony in Tarzana said:
They do normally need a ringer box. And with the candlesticks, you need to distinguish between "Sidetone" and "Anti-sidetone" circuitry, the phone and the "subset" need to match. "Sidetone" is when you hear your own voice in the receiver, it can be very distracting. In the late '20s, they discovered how to reduce that by using "anti-sidetone" circuitry.

As to non-dial phones, you can get a hand-held touch tone generator that's battery powered. You hold it up to the transmitter and punch the buttons.

I don't have a candlestick yet, mainly because good examples can cost really outrageous money, far more than a 302 or even a 202. I've seen nice ones go for over $500 to $800 and more on eBay.

........Whew!! I had no idea it would entail so much! :eusa_doh: :rolleyes: lol
Thanks for the technical advice Tony.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Big Man said:
I have an old candlestick phone that my grandfather Dobson had. According to him, it was the first telephone at Drexel Furniture (he was a lumber byer for Drexel back in the 30's). He gave it to me to play with years and years ago.

Sometime in the late 1960's a family friend who worked for the phone company re-wired it so it would work. The modern (well, "modern" to the 60's) "guts" of the phone are in a separate box. The phone doesn't ring, because at the time the phone company charged you a per-phone rate (they knew how many phones you had because the ringer drew power - or some such thing). Any way, you can talk on it.

I still have the phone and it's on my desk at home. I still enjoy talking on it.

The phone companies haven't changed a bit over the years I see, even though the hardware has. :rolleyes: Charging for rings, and thus the need of a seperate ringer component. :mad:
Also the simple fact that there doesn't look to be much room inside the base of the candle sticks to put a ringer in it. Sounds like the 60's to 70's retro fit of the phone's workings would be a good fit. Still somewhat vintage throughout, but the phone will work on today's system.

The Reno Kid

A-List Customer
The old phones work fine.

Maj.Nick Danger said:
Sounds like the 60's to 70's retro fit of the phone's workings would be a good fit. Still somewhat vintage throughout, but the phone will work on today's system.

You can still use the old phones in most places. I have a 202 with separate ringer box and a 653. That's the wall model that you alway see in the old movies with a candlestick-type mouthpiece and a separate earpiece that hangs on the side. I have both phones hooked up and use them all the time. The circuitry has not been altered in any way. The 202 (1931) uses sidetone circuitry while the 653 (1940) is anti-sidetone. About the only difference I can hear is the 202 sounds a bit "tinny"--sort of like most people think of an old phone as sounding. I love 'em.

About the only time I can't use them is when I'm calling into a system that requires touch-tone. Even then, as Tony said, you can buy a hand-held tone generator at most Radio Shack stores that will do the trick. I just haven't bothered yet. But dialing still works with Ma Bell.:)

Caledonia

Practically Family
I had a modern repro candlestick years ago. Looked great and attracted lots of attention from visitors. Amazing how many people couldn't work out how to use it. Regular attempts would have them speaking into the earpiece and waiting for the mouthpiece to give them a loudspeaker return! One woman wouldn't use it at all because she'd look "silly". :p Love to get hold of an original again, thinking wall mounted this time. Thanks for the info on technical stuff that I need to look into.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Caledonia said:
I had a modern repro candlestick years ago. Looked great and attracted lots of attention from visitors. Amazing how many people couldn't work out how to use it. Regular attempts would have them speaking into the earpiece and waiting for the mouthpiece to give them a loudspeaker return!

Too funny! Reminds of the idea a friend of mine and I had last night over a few beers. :beer:
We noticed how most older folks don't like cell phones because of their micro-miniature size. So we got the idea to make cell phones that look exactly like the old telephone hand sets. Would be just like talking on a "real" phone as opposed to trying to talk on a little thing that looks like a calculator. :)

Mike in Seattle

Maj.Nick Danger said:
So we got the idea to make cell phones that look exactly like the old telephone hand sets.

Someone's already beaten you to the punch. I think the link was somewhere here on Fedora Lounge, but there's a company where you can buy a regular corded 60's-90's phone receiver to plug into a cell phone instead of a more modern headset.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Dad blast it to blue blazes,.....

Mike in Seattle said:
Someone's already beaten you to the punch. I think the link was somewhere here on Fedora Lounge, but there's a company where you can buy a regular corded 60's-90's phone receiver to plug into a cell phone instead of a more modern headset.

.....anyway! :eusa_doh: These ideas always come to me too late.lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff