Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

China

Highlander

A-List Customer
Well having lost my China several years ago, I am thinking about restocking some in my house. Looking for a masculine design I think I've come upon this one. The Noritake Colbalt Platinum. What do you all have for China?
51F71NPQ00L._SS500_.jpg

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
We have about twenty place settings of an old Sevres hotel service (c. 1870), a set of post-war (I) Dresden in a tulip pattern, a set of Spode, a couple of sets of 'twenties vintage Haviland, in that classical border pattern, a set of Wedgewood's Florentine, with service for 12 in white and cold, and service for 14 in white, gold, with blue banding, a service for 10 in Amberstone, a set of cheap modern English Blue Willow (Thank you Krogers) a set of new Fiesta (purchased at the auction sale of a defunct restaurant) and a couple of large sets of that cheap Ohio River dinnerware from the 'thirties.

Around here, the Limoges dinner services in the various 'twenties patterns are practically impossible to sell. Good services for ten, with serving pieces, going for less than $200.00. The same is true of the decorated Ohio River pottery of the '20's and '30's, a large service of this cheap ware will sell for less than $100.00. The Wedgewood Florentine, while it is still made, was fantastically popular in the Detroit area in the 1960's and 1970's, and quite commonly turns up very cheaply at auction.

tortswon

Practically Family
Limoges

Several years ago, I purchased a set of Ceralene Limoges Diplomat. Slightly less ornate than what is shown in your photo. It is bright white with a 1/4 inch (1/2 cm?) blue band between two pencil thin gold bands around the edge. My understanding was that it was the china used at French embassies around the world. I have received nothing but compliments about it.

Dexter'sDame

One of the Regulars
Beautiful

Highlander, That's beautiful!

It depends on the mood and the food...Being a dish junkie who has pieces from several relatives but also a small kitchen, I have various quantities of several patterns, to which I've added pieces of my own. Everything coordinates into either a "Modern '30's" or a "Girly '20's" pallette. My favorite "Girly" combo is Spode Old Billingsley Rose, combined with Grandma's unnamed 1920's Homer Laughlin Kwaker pattern (there are tiny pink roses in its design), along with pink depression glass serving pieces.

Edited after looking in the cupboards to add: For most meals, we use ('80's) Fiestaware. For toast in the morning or Chinese takeout, it's either the 1930's clear Manhattan plates or the dark purple glass plates I got at Cost Plus because they reminded me of Hazel Atlas Moderntone. From late November to January 2, you'll also find Spode Christmas Tree in the cupboard.

Highlander

A-List Customer
Hi DD:

Thanks, I think I'll buy a place setting a month. Maybe I'll just get service for four for now.

I think I'll look into a really nice silver pattern too, as my silver and crystal, left in the same accident :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran