Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chinatown

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
MudInYerEye said:
CHINATOWN seems to be one of the most highly regarded films among my friends and associates. Overall I enjoyed the movie very much, I have it on dvd and watch it every year or so. What bothers me very much about the movie tho is the extreme precision of the writing. I find myself paying way too much attention to the the script, and feeling virtually no empathy for the characters. You can almost hear the typewriter clacking as the story progresses. It's cold, and put together like a mathmatical equation. It seems only John Huston's performance was powerful and alive enough to escape Towne's long, lingering shadow.
CHINATOWN is far too self-conscious of itself and has been vastly overrated. There are many films of the same period that may not be as "deep", but are just plain better. BARRY LYNDON, THE CONVERSATION, NIGHT MOVES, PAPER MOON, even Huston's FAT CITY just to name a few.

Pretty harsh words, kitty cat.

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
jake_fink said:
Hi Mud,

All the movies you named - except Barry Lyndon which I don't like - are excellent films, but I really disagree with your assessment of Chinatown. Over the years Chinatown has come to be viewed as an example of the classic (three act) film script, thanks mostly to hacks like Syd Field and Robert McKee. Perhaps, with this in mind, it affects the way we view the film. You say you don't feel any empathy for the characters, and then cite Huston's performance as being the standout - does that mean you feel empathy for his character? Anyway, I don't have any problem with the performances or with Towne's screenplay, obviously, so, :cheers1:

Now... Barry Lyndon. That's cold! :)
Howdy Jake,
Been expectin' this...Got my flak jacket ans steel helmet on, I'm ready.
Again, I actually like CHINATOWN, but not as much as almost everybody else. The acting is generally very good, the sets and costumes tremendous. However, I just don't see how people get so carried away with this mildly entertaining but essentially wooden film. People rate this movie as the equal or better of SUNSET BOULEVARD, THE TREASURE OF THE SIERRA MADRE, or THE THIRD MAN. Frankly, I don't think that it's even Polanksi's best movie, that distinction belonging to ROSEMARY'S BABY (to me, a perfect movie).
Towne's sreenplay is too smart for it's own good and made for a stiff movie. I generally appreciate challenging films that are multi-layered enough to provide new revelations upon each viewing. But I prefer to find these revelations within an actor's nuanced performance, whereas in CHINATOWN I found myself too occupied with the muddled plot to pay much attention to the actor's performances. In a truly great film the script does no compete with the performances. Take CASABLANCA for example where the script and performances meld seamlessly. I had to watch CHINATOWN several times just to get a bead on the plot itself. And now that I have the plot down and can sit back and just plain watch the actors act, a few interesting scenes just are not enough of a pay-off to qualify as a classic.
John Huston, unmistakeably a monster talent, appealed to me most because his character seemed the only organic/realistic person in the film as opposed to a piece on Towne's chessboard. Credit Huston with the vision and tenacity to transcend the script.
I agree to a large extent with your view of the tripe-peddling "professors" who hold the screenplay up as the holy grail. And no doubt it has somewhat tainted my opinion of the film.
Regarding BARRY LYNDON, Kubrick's masterpiece, I consider it measured rather than cold tho I can see where some may view it's snail's pace as such. Not for everybody, to be sure.

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
Your Slayin Me Quigley

Love the photo work Quigley!

!. the ONLY scene in the entire Chinatown movie that always bothers me is towards the end of the film when they head into Chinatown. A Chinese restaurant sign flahes on the screen & this is NOT a correct period sign, looks like something from the 1960's. Only ugh in an otherwise terrific film!

Peter ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav