Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Christmas Films….

postercollect

New in Town
Holiday Affair (1949)

I was finally able to watch this film from beginning to end last night. Years ago, I watched the last 1/2 hour or so while flipping through the channels. Quite predictable but enjoyable, not quite up there with 'Christmas In Connecticut' (1945), another film I've recently seen for the first time.

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
I watched 'Joyeaux Noel' (2005) last evening. It's based on a true story that happened during WWI when German, Scot, and French troops called a Christmas day informal truce from their trenches to meet in No Mans Land and 'sort of' celebrate the holiday together. One of the German troops was a well-known opera performer and sang to the accompaniment of Scot bagpipes. It's definetly a must-see for next year.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Jonny's Angel said:
I watched The Holiday last night, expecting to hate it. To my shame, I rather enjoyed it!

I join you in your shame--I liked it too despite the fact that it was quite cliched. Sometimes all you want is a fluffy bit of escapism and Kate Winslet elevates any material she's given. It was fun to see Eli Wallach and the sets/clothes were great. My one quibble was Jack Black--he was okay but he and John Krasinski should have swapped parts in my opinion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot