Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Civilian Conservation Corps Clothing Reference Site

Bugguy

Practically Family
I've always had an interest in the Wisconsin CCC. Growing up in the late 50's, we always pitched our large side-wall tents in the old CCC barracks area at Devils Lake State Park, Baraboo, WI. The buildings were deserted, but the legacy has remained for over 90 years. The stonework on the trails hasn't changed a bit.

Thanks for stimulating some great memories!

7f0d5c5c-512e-4737-91f3-28da0612cb04.jpg

Edward

Bartender
Interesting website, thanks for posting. On a whim this time last year, I picked up a couple of Bronson A3 caps and a denim Daisy Mae. Wasn't sure what wear I'd get out of them - but quite a lot, it turns out. The Daisy mae surprisingly so - an excellent alternative to a straw fedora for a more dress-down option out and about in heat. Packs very well too. I have since picked up a second one in the camo option - afaik this was never issued, but mimics a 'field pp'. More recently I also acquired one of WPG's 1917- style brown ones. As I understand it, the brown denim fatigues issued to some US military in 1917 were the same pattern as used by the CCC, except the latter being blue? I'm now toying with picking up one of the 1942 pattern green military options. (Never seen the leather-band and four peice crown original type reproduced.)

These cheaper versions of those hats are great - have to admit, I'm not convinced there's any real difference at all with the Japan-made repros at six or seven times the price. The one flaw on the Bronsons is the A3 caps bear the text 'Army Air Force', singular - should be 'Forces' of course. For those of us who aren't Living History impressionists, though, close enough. The Daisy Maes are all great - make me want to dabble with some of the other CCC designs. I wonder how many of those young men took bits of those fatigues on into civilian life? Was this a part of popularising blue jeans in the US mainstream as time wore on?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner