Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Colds and Flu Time!

As we wind on thru the holiday season, many of us are in more crowded situations, big get togethers or greeting a greater number of people right at the time Colds and Flu seems to begin their sweep thru the nation. A lot of running around and burning the candle at both ends and less sleep lowers our resistance.

I woke up Wednesday morning Christmas eve with a sore throat and by Christmas it was working into a full blown cold. I don't like to take a lot of medications but sometimes the symptoms get to be too much and I need relief especially at night trying to sleep. While I tend to avoid dairy, and look for more liquids especially hot tea and even soup (chicken soup too!)

I find Drixoral is the most effective for me these days. My cousin is reccomending a boat load of green tea to me as it make her get over colds quicker! It seems to me that some over the counter cold remedies are effective of a period and then seem to slip into a much less effective period. (Coricidan did just that for me.)

Just wondering what works for you and how you cope.

Hope it skips you or you get better soon!

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
And to keep it vintage-orented, please offer some traditional remedies and those used duriing the first half of the last century.

Thanks!

Personally, I wear tissue boxes on my feet and touch everything with tissues. ;)

Actually, I do keep Purell hand sanitzer behind my desk. ;) :)

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Antibiotics have been around for awhile. :) But penicillin and other antibiotics won't help a cold (rhinovirus) or flu (influenza virus).

Handwashing as a preventive medicine practice has only been around for a little over a hundred years, I think.

I know that being cold isn't supposed to make you sick, but I think it wears down your resistance.

RBH

Bartender
The old Vicks used to work best for me, the new stuff just dont cut the mustard....
I used to take a dose when I felt a cold coming on, and by morning I would feel better.

2099288501_95c490d2ed_o.jpg

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Vicks schmeared all over my chest and a dollop on my nose when I couldn't turn my head fast enough to escape mom's Vicksing Clutches.
Wash wash wash. Until your hands chap. Wash more.

(Nowadays I SWEAR by Zicam, tough many poo-poo it).

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
Vickslol lol My mom would hold us down and smear it all over our chests and then make us put on a fresh white t-shirt before bed. Now my wife does it to the kids, luckily I can outrun the wife. :D

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Stay well rested!

Easier said than done but it really is the key to staying healthy; whether it be cold and flu season, heavy travel itinerary or any stressful situations.

Flivver

Practically Family
My Mom was a great believer in Vicks Vapo-Rub when I was a kid in the 1950s. She would slather it on my chest and also on my neck. Then she would wrap my neck with a scratchy white woolen scarf...always the *same* scratchy white woolen scarf!

I don't know which was worse...the sickness or the cure!

There was also a rumor at this time that *eating* Vicks had some theraputic effect. But, I never tried it!

To ease a soar throat, my Mom always gave me tea and honey followed by a spoonfull of honey.

Imahomer

Practically Family
Since I have a very weak and compromised immune system, I need to really watch it and be careful. So, nothing vintage for me, only the latest and proven medicines.

Inky

One Too Many
scotrace said:
Vicks schmeared all over my chest and a dollop on my nose when I couldn't turn my head fast enough to escape mom's Vicksing Clutches.
Wash wash wash. Until your hands chap. Wash more.

(Nowadays I SWEAR by Zicam, tough many poo-poo it).

Vicks is still in use at our house, along with a vaporizer (but I agree, scotrace, those Zicam nasal swabs are the best - if you catch it early I swear it keeps the cold at bay, or at the very least, much lighter symptoms - we've been using them for a couple of years now and they work for me).

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
John in Covina said:
I find Drixoral is the most effective for me these days.

Drixoral is the best and I find that little else works for me, although Drixoral is harder and harder to find these days.

I also really love this effervescent medication called Tabcin that my dad brings me from Central/South America. It's basically Alka Seltzer Cold, but with more medication in it.

The traditional hot toddy comes in a close second for me for helping to clear congestion.

I couldn't tell you about the flu - I've had it once in the past 16 years. Flu vaccines are the best - I highly recommend getting one.

byronic

One of the Regulars
I drink a green tea infused with echinacea, haven't caught a cold in 3 years. Could be a coincidence, but it's said to strengthen the immune system & cut recovery time in half should one be unlucky enough to catch a cold.
And I believe this is a vintage remedy- I read somewhere that Red Indians used it a long time ago.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24