Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cordovan Allens??

moustache

Practically Family
I have shown these off a few times and adore them.But i'm a bit new to the shoe game and was noticing that the Allen-Edmonds catalog lists the "Macneil" as available in regular calf and also cordovan.
By this photo,are these cordovan??I know where cordovan comes from and the process.But i have not seen it on shoes yet.
Seems a VERY sturdy leathe and hardy as can be.These don't need polishing and are in splendid condition.

Thoughts??

32fee.jpg

aelarge.jpg

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
i'd say definately not. i have a pair of cordovan shoes (below) and they have a smooth very dark burgundy-brown waxy finish with a deep sheen. they don't have the grained surface.

cordovan.jpg

cheers.

moustache

Practically Family
herringbonekid said:
i'd say definately not. i have a pair of cordovan shoes (below) and they have a smooth very dark burgundy-brown waxy finish with a deep sheen. they don't have the grained surface.

cordovan.jpg

cheers.

Thanks so much for the information.yet another factoid to store in the melon above!!!
The shoes might not be cordovan,but they sure feel nice and look splendid!

Regards,

JD

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Not cordovan as stated, but the grained calf finish is interesting. I don't believe they are offered in that leather any longer. Those are clearly meant to compete with the old Florsheim Kenmoor longwing in 'cashmere calf' as they called it.

moustache

Practically Family
Hmmm

AlanC said:
Not cordovan as stated, but the grained calf finish is interesting. I don't believe they are offered in that leather any longer. Those are clearly meant to compete with the old Florsheim Kenmoor longwing in 'cashmere calf' as they called it.

I admit i have seen very few with this grain for sale on the usual sites such as Eprey and the like.
I really like the texture and the sturdiness of these shoes.Very well made.

JD

undertaker

Practically Family
Florshiem

Florshiem still offers the newer Imperials in Black and Brown in a calf grain finish. I believe they call it some kind of pebble grain or some such. However they do not offer it in cordovan. They only offer cordovan in the smooth finish. I was going to order me a new pair in the cordovan but they do not seem to be as well built as my old ones, What is anymore though:rolleyes: ?

Regards,
J.S.

The Shooman

Practically Family
Cordovan shoos will have a smooth [slightly] oily feel to them (they have NO grain). The creases are also wider and less sharp than normal calfskin. The leather is also richer looking than ordinary calf.

Study this Cordovan boot below and you'll see what l mean about wide creases:

http://centipede.web.fc2.com/jbhill.html

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
The Shooman said:
Cordovan shoos will have a smooth [slightly] oily feel to them (they have NO grain). The creases are also wider and less sharp than normal calfskin. The leather is also richer looking than ordinary calf.

Study this Cordovan boot below and you'll see what l mean about wide creases:

http://centipede.web.fc2.com/jbhill.html

I think folks on this thread may be referring to different things by the word 'cordovan.' Shooman is referring to a specific type of leather or hide that's made from a horse's posterior, not from cow leather, and that has the characteristics he mentioned. This kind of leather can be dyed to any color that shoes are normally found in.

Others (Undertaker, perhaps) may be referring to a color that, in the US at least, is sometimes called "cordovan" and also known as burgundy, merlot, or oxblood. I'm not sure how this color came to be called cordovan, but I suspect that people got used to seeing the classic burgundy cordovan penny loafer and eventually came to associate "cordovan" with the color rather than the material.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR