Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Discerning Thieves

matei

One Too Many
We just relocated to London from Dublin. London is a big city, with all the pros and cons. About two weeks ago our flat was broken into, and a number of valuable things were stolen.

Along with the valuables, the rat took one of my bespoke suits and 3 dirty socks. Not four, but three. He actually went into the bottom of a laundry bag to get them. Bizarre. He also took both sets of cheap nail clippers. Must be a hot commodity here in London.

It wasn't one of my favourtie suits (made me look like Al Capone or someone of his ilk), but it was a nice one all the same.

Although he did nick one of my nice suits, he thankfully he left my hats alone. I guess he wasn't a hat person, or they were too big. However, the thief also missed my 2x Gibson Les Pauls that were probably worth more than everything else combined. He must've been a Fender man himself.

Some good news though - Her Majesty's police have ID'd and aprehended the bad guy. The dim bulb left a half-smoked fag in the flat and they ID'd him off the DNA. Pretty cool. It seems that he was already in prison, as he was caught about a week ago in the act of breaking into another flat.

matei

One Too Many
Salut! Ce mai faci bre?

We were in Hackney, on the "Murder Mile" - by the Clapton ponds, but we've since moved to Islington. It is a nicer area, although the crime rate appears to be about the same. As long as you don't go up by Holloway it is grand.

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender

Sorry to hear about the theft. It is a horrible feeling to be violated. I am glad he didn't take the Les Pauls. That would have been REALLY tragic. What kind of amp do you play them through?

I like Islington. I do a show at the Business Design Centre every January. The pizza place across the street is very good and the pasta joint half a block down is excellent. The Living Room is my favorite bar there. A classy place with good food and great bartenders.

We need to have a get together with the UK members when I come at the end of January.

matei

One Too Many
A get-together with other UK forum members would be really cool.

I play my guitars (at the moment) through a wee valve amp - a Zvex Nanohead. I have it blaring through a Laney 1x12. It is cool valve tone at acceptable levels.

I do have my eye on one of the little Marshall combo reissues though! The neighbours will love me...

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
Too bad one could be arrested and jailed for protecting one's own property in Merry Ole England. We hear all kinds of horror stories about some poor bloke who defended himself or thwarted a home invasion only to be charged with a crime. What a shame. It appears that one must let the miscreants have their way, may as well let them in for tea and scones while they're at it.

While we're at it...if someone breaks into a home in Texas they're liable to be shot dead by the homeowner or his neighbors. Not that we don't have crime, mind you, but there is less incentive. "An armed society is a polite society."

HaraldTheSwede

Familiar Face
Biltmore Bob said:
"An armed society is a polite society."

And it continues: "Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."

- Robert A. Heinlein, "Beyond This Horizon", 1942.

matei

One Too Many
Mr. 'H' said:
Sorry to here about your trouble Matai.

I'd say it's a change from Balbriggan.

I'm pleasantly surprised to hear that the cops used DNA in a burglary case. Very good indeed.
Thanks... it is indeed a change from quaint Balbriggan.

I was surprised as well when they used DNA to catch (or in this case id) the bad guy. They said that they have a 90% success rate. Most impressive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff