Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dun Dun Dun! do do do do Box 13!

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
Yes, cheesy, but good show for those to listen to. Box 13, a not so detective show, about a man by the name of Dan Holiday, writer, enthusist, and with a PO Box, number 13. Played by Alan Ladd, Dan Holiday has the many of adventures, all beginning with a box, box 13 that is. The ad in the paper says, "Adventure wanted, go any place, do anything". This sticks him into a bit of trouble, but at least he gets a story.

Tune in now for the first episode!

http://www.puzzledpictures.com/tunein.htm

Sunny

One Too Many
I think I've finally wound up gathering all the available Box 13 episodes. Some are better than others (and "Let George Do It" used the advertisement gambit much better), but it's a good listen. And Suzie never annoys me, which is remarkable because ditzy girl characters tend to drive me up the wall. She actually catches out Dan on his shortcomings for a change in the episode "Tempest in a Casserole." ;)

Interesting tidbit: In addition to listening to OTR, I also read Louis L'Amour. One of his books, The Broken Gun, is dedicated to Alan Ladd and Bill Bendix. I don't remember the exact wording, but they both died no more than a couple years before the book was published, early 1960s I think. The Broken Gun is one of L'Amour's rare modern-day books. Its protagonist is a writer named Dan Sheridan who not altogether accidentally ends up in a heap of trouble and has to extract himself. Coincidence or a tip of the hat? It "gives one furiously to think," as M. Poirot would say. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner