Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dunhill Shell Briar

Finally broke down and bought a Dunhill " Zulu" shell briar pipe.Have always desirerd a Dunhill for the many years of pipe smoking and collecting but never had the nerve to spend that much for a pipe.Petersens,Comoy`s,Parker of London,Barlings name the maker and I have owned it.But 300.00 or more for a pipe out of the question.I have had the money but could not justify the price.How much better could Dunhill be? Do they smoke cooler? YES! are they made with the finest briar YES!.Are the shapes comfortable YES!.It was worth the money. Thats the last pipe I guess I will buy at my age now.

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
I just can't bring myself to spend more than $75 or so for a pipe. I can get as much enjoyment out of a Bjarne or Peterson. At then then I could afford a few pounds of my favorite baccies. A $300 Dunhill wouldn't do me much good, if I was left with only enough change to buy a pack of Prince Albert. :eusa_doh:

Richard

ProfessorShak

New in Town
I think the most I've spent on a single pipe was my Stanwell Colonial. I love all my pipes but this is my favorite and only smoke my best baccy(King Arthur Blend) in it. I find no reason to spend any more than that on a pipe, but Congrats on the Dunhill. Hope it smokes better than it costs.

Gaige

One of the Regulars
I haven't yet spent over $85 on a pipe; that was my latest purchase and was a Bjarne churchwarden. Amazingly beautiful and a great price.

However, some of the Danish freehands which command big bucks are so tempting due to how incredible they look. I've seen some Tsuge's I really like too... and of course the mighty Dunhill.

One day, I'm sure, I'll break down and do it.

Highlander

A-List Customer
WOW, I have always wanted a Dunhill, but too, the price was just too far out of my reach. I have spent $80 to $100 on a few Free-hands. I love them for sitting in my Leather Wing Chair or out in the eve on my deck chairs. But Just haven't been able to break down on the Dunhill yet.

Gaige

One of the Regulars
To be sure, the Ebay prices for Dunhills are generally significantly less expensive than buying new. I'd almost rather buy an estate Dunhill due to it being broken in already.

We were just having this same conversation at the local smoke shop the other day, too.

John Boyer

A-List Customer
I have (1) James Upshall Dublin (E) pipe (now Dunhill) that I purchased several years ago, as an Estate Pipe, at www.smokingpipes.com. I am, of course, a big fan of this pipe and the Dublin shape. My favorite pipes, however, are anything produced by Ferndown (Les Wood).

I would, however, agree that a functional pipe can be obtained for a $75-$100 budget. I would also agree, and prefer myself, to purchase estate pipes. Estate pipes have more character, are broke in and, sometimes, less expensive.

PMVARGO

New in Town
LocktownDog said:
I just can't bring myself to spend more than $75 or so for a pipe. I can get as much enjoyment out of a Bjarne or Peterson. At then then I could afford a few pounds of my favorite baccies. A $300 Dunhill wouldn't do me much good, if I was left with only enough change to buy a pack of Prince Albert. :eusa_doh:

Richard
i think your wright a good tabacco will make a cob smoke good

mtechthang

One of the Regulars
I noticed another source

Let me state that I am prejudiced on this topic!! I will tell you that after smoking most of the better pipes, the Dunhill is indeed a marvelous tobacco experience. Yes, they are pricey but I believe if you try one, especially a fine old estate pipe, you'll truly be amazed!! I at one time owned as many as 20 carefully selected Dunhills- eventually pairing them down to the best 10. I'd have to say a great Dunhill is to the pipe-world what a great Art Fawcett or old Borsalino is for us and our beloved hats!!

Anyway, there are a number of reputable sources on-line and eBay is one but best to do a bit of research on the source. There is also a store I can recommend from personal experience. The 310 Pipe Shop in Murfreesboro, TN has an excellent reputation and is a family business that also seems to have good prices. I personally recommend the shell briars- they look a bit less formal/dress but I did notice a distinct cool smoke from them. They are also a bit cheaper which is indeed a benefit!! The web-site for the store is at http://310pipe.com/home.html I'd recommend personal contact- the family member I knew personally is no longer with us but his daughter and grandsons will be happy to assist and make recommendations. (Oh, for the good old days before age and medical issues intruded on such a pleasant ritual!!!) Best of luck in your searches for the perfect tobacco/pipe relationship!!

John Boyer

A-List Customer
mtechthang said:
Let me state that I am prejudiced on this topic!! I will tell you that after smoking most of the better pipes, the Dunhill is indeed a marvelous tobacco experience. Yes, they are pricey but I believe if you try one, especially a fine old estate pipe, you'll truly be amazed!! I at one time owned as many as 20 carefully selected Dunhills- eventually pairing them down to the best 10. I'd have to say a great Dunhill is to the pipe-world what a great Art Fawcett or old Borsalino is for us and our beloved hats!!

Anyway, there are a number of reputable sources on-line and eBay is one but best to do a bit of research on the source. There is also a store I can recommend from personal experience. The 310 Pipe Shop in Murfreesboro, TN has an excellent reputation and is a family business that also seems to have good prices. I personally recommend the shell briars- they look a bit less formal/dress but I did notice a distinct cool smoke from them. They are also a bit cheaper which is indeed a benefit!! The web-site for the store is at http://310pipe.com/home.html I'd recommend personal contact- the family member I knew personally is no longer with us but his daughter and grandsons will be happy to assist and make recommendations. (Oh, for the good old days before age and medical issues intruded on such a pleasant ritual!!!) Best of luck in your searches for the perfect tobacco/pipe relationship!!

Dear mtechthang,

I am in basic agreement with you on the quality of the Dunhill pipe. As noted below I have a James Upshall Dublin. I would like to purchase a Dunhill "dress black" pipe soon. As a long time pipe smoker (nearly 30 years), I have had great luck with the Ferndown pipes. What is your opinion on these pipes? Also do you have a favorite tobacco to share? Personally, I like the Virginia's and, particularly, Astley's #2.

freebird

Practically Family
If memory serves, I paid a little over a hundred for my Peterson red Killarney bent, with some tobacco , pipe cleaners and a lighter. Have never owned a Dunnhill tho.

warbird

One Too Many
mtechthang said:

Many of my pipes were handed down to me, but my first bought pipe was from 310. It is my regular hangout as it was when Dawson was still alive. At one time he was the largest Dunhill dealer in the western hemisphere. My wife now gets to hang out there more than I do as her office is just down the street.

I bought an old Dunhill from him many years ago a wonderful smoker. He passed away while I was living in Virginia, but he was just a wonderful man. His wife and daughter now run the business.

mtechthang

One of the Regulars
Amen to that!!

warbird said:
Many of my pipes were handed down to me, but my first bought pipe was from 310. It is my regular hangout as it was when Dawson was still alive. At one time he was the largest Dunhill dealer in the western hemisphere. My wife now gets to hang out there more than I do as her office is just down the street.

I bought an old Dunhill from him many years ago a wonderful smoker. He passed away while I was living in Virginia, but he was just a wonderful man. His wife and daughter now run the business.

I first met Dawson and Kay when they had that little shop in Lynchburg. Yes, his friendship was an important part of my smoking education. Dawson is the one who suggested I'd enjoy matured Virginia (that was indeed my favorite in several different incantations- because they are magic!!!). Your thoughts remind me of his advice and it is still good advice. It isn't the pipe or cigar that looks good or that XXXX likes, it is the one that is best for you- and that is true regardless the price!!- something to that effect (the x's were a particular person's name). BTW- his daughter is still there but they are training the grandsons to run the store now.

mtechthang

One of the Regulars
Favorite Virginia?

John Boyer said:
Dear mtechthang,As a long time pipe smoker (nearly 30 years), I have had great luck with the Ferndown pipes. What is your opinion on these pipes? Also do you have a favorite tobacco to share? Personally, I like the Virginia's and, particularly, Astley's #2.

I liked them very much and was lucky enough to have had a few seconds as well (purely cosmetic blemishes with the name xxxxxx through). Hmmm. I think for a cool and neutral smoke they were always superb though for some reason I didn't have as much luck with them once I switched to Virginias and started blending my own. (My mentor said I always smoked them too hot but I didn't have that problem with the Dunhill shells. I don't know why but I'm pretty sure it wasn't the pipe's fault!) lol lol

Astley's is excellent Virginia- my order of preference was probably the 88, then the 2 and then the 44. I always liked the Mac Barren's flake Virginia as well as the Virginia No. 1 and the HH Matured - those and a couple that have slipped my mind in tins (I was going to edit that but it is a beautiful mis-construction!!lol lol ). 310 always had a superb selection of matured Virginia and, like a lot of local shops, were willing to store blending information (which I always seemed to loose).

Levallois

Practically Family
I have a thing for Dunhill shells and buy them from estate sales or ebay. The following is a photo of 3 Dunhills shells and a Parker (on top) - supposedly a Dunhill second made in 1933 but I can't find anything wrong with this pipe - a beautiful blast. The bottom is a Prince ca. 1919-1921 and middle two date to the 1950s. All are great pipes but the Prince is the sweetheart of the bunch.

Pipes003.jpg

Pipes009.jpg

Pipes008.jpg

Pipes007.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff