Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Eastman Veg-tanned Vintage WarHorse® Horsehide

Thuggee

Practically Family
Im looking at a new jacket from either Aero or Simmons Bilt, I own a Eastman house A2 in their WarHorse horsehide, I find the leather lightweight/thin, has heaps of character, fantastic leather all round I can only imagine it will only get better with age, my question is does anyone know which leather would be comparable to the Eastman Warhorse from Areo or SB?

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
Simmons Bilt offers: Clayton Veg tanned vintage horsehide brown. Thickness: 1-1.2mm

Edit - my apologies. I saw Warhorse and my mind went to the Eastman Timeworn finish which is a "pre-aged" leather. Clayton also makes a regular brown as well.

Last edited:

Thuggee

Practically Family
I have a SB jacket in Clayton BROWN Vintage Horsehide I believe this leather is 4oz? It's heavy thick but very soft , looks fantastic going to look even better with some age/wear very different to the Eastman Warhorse, I also have a Areomarine in I believe Italian Vicenza looks similar to the Eastman leather but in my opinion still thicker so more a mid weight leather whereas the Eastman warhorses is much thinner in my opinion so would be classed as light leather - I'm not a expert so can only compare leathers based on what I have access to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Plumbline

One Too Many
Aero

Vicenza would be the closest to what you have described .. the MWHH is also nice but doesn't have the depth of graining that Vicenza has .... equally don't discount steer which shows much more graining and creasing IMHO than HH.

SB's

Clayton is 3.5-4oz and much more like a softer hand Horween ( especially in the vintage variant ) ..... SB's Italian Veg HH is probably more like what you are looking for or their Shinki.

My best advice is phone them and get samples ( they will usually be happy to provide them ) and make your own mind up ..... but remember to try and picture the sample as a WHOLE JACKET which can be harder to do than most realize :)

Thuggee

Practically Family
Aero

Vicenza would be the closest to what you have described .. the MWHH is also nice but doesn't have the depth of graining that Vicenza has .... equally don't discount steer which shows much more graining and creasing IMHO than HH.

SB's

Clayton is 3.5-4oz and much more like a softer hand Horween ( especially in the vintage variant ) ..... SB's Italian Veg HH is probably more like what you are looking for or their Shinki.

My best advice is phone them and get samples ( they will usually be happy to provide them ) and make your own mind up ..... but remember to try and picture the sample as a WHOLE JACKET which can be harder to do than most realize :)

I've tried a few jackets now different styles, different leathers taken a while to work out what I like, favourite leather so far is the Eastman Warhorse and the SB Shinki, the Shinki so much so that I've just a few weeks ago placed a order for a SB Memphis in Black Shinki ( I already own a SB in chocolate Shinki in a different style ) to replace my Areo 50s Bomber in front quarter horse hide that I find just to heavy to wear comfortably, love the jacket just not loving the leather

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy