Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Eat Dust Japanese Denim

schitzo

Suspended
To my eyes, the huge pockets just make it bottom heavy. But horse for courses, I suppose.

Our Japanese friends are very dedicated to very cool clothes. They make some brilliant (if frustratingly difficult to buy) stuff.
Unfortunately, in pushing the boundaries, they also turn out a few disasters.

Hence, this jacket.....

but is this jacket really such a disaster? It would help me to decide if I could try on it. But the pockets don't seem to be a million miles away from this http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/product-detail.php?id=416 though the pockets at the bottom on the Lee look even bigger. FTR, I'll admit i prefer the Lee

majormajor

One Too Many
but is this jacket really such a disaster? It would help me to decide if I could try on it. But the pockets don't seem to be a million miles away from this http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/product-detail.php?id=416 though the pockets at the bottom on the Lee look even bigger. FTR, I'll admit i prefer the Lee

Completely different beasts. The Lee 81chore is a much longer garment. The one in the OP link is simply neither short nor long. Just wrong:eeek:;)

schitzo

Suspended
Completely different beasts. The Lee 81chore is a much longer garment. The one in the OP link is simply neither short nor long. Just wrong:eeek:;)

Well for me the 'correct' length of that Lee is the only thing I don't like about it. At 30" long that's just a couple too many for my liking. But if it was the length of that other one I'd have it!

majormajor

One Too Many
Well for me the 'correct' length of that Lee is the only thing I don't like about it. At 30" long that's just a couple too many for my liking. But if it was the length of that other one I'd have it!

That's why it is properly called a "Chore Coat" It is supposed to be long.

Here is a comparison between a Chore Coat (on the left), an old Lee/Can't Bust Em - and a Chore Jacket (on the right) an old Lee 191

leechorecomp.jpg

The thing in the top link is neither one nor the other. That (IMHO) is the problem:D;)

BTW, the jeans are UK made with STRAIGHT legs - Freddies of Pinewood 50s cut:D

Last edited:

majormajor

One Too Many
Wait, are you saying that Levi Strauss did not intoduce blue demim trousers to the marketplace?

Not at all. What I am saying is that modern denim jeans and jackets are the result of innovations from a number of manufacturers (none of them lemming-like).

The jeans designs that Rodeo Ben did for Blue Bell/Wrangler in 1946 were pretty much copied by ALL the jeans manufacturers - INCLUDING Levi Strauss, and many of the iconic "jeans-wearing" figures (like James Dean) wore Lee Riders - NOT Levis.

Both Wrangler and Lee were also far more innovative with their jackets after WW2. It took LS until the 60's to catch up.

Thanks to Levi advertising, anyone under the age of 50 has been fed pro-Levi hype for pretty much all their lives. And you know what they say about lies - say 'em often enough, and folks believe 'em:D;)

Last edited:

schitzo

Suspended
On the subject of denim Major, any info on the 23oz Lee jeans available from the same company?

I've got three pairs - two in reserve and one that I wear - and I think they're excellent jeans that just get better and better. As far as I recall, the Major is not a fan of heavyweight denim, but to be fair these don't feel heavy anymore. They just feel like great jeans that show up my regular weight models as the flimsy lightweight el cheapo tat they are!

majormajor

One Too Many
As far as I recall, the Major is not a fan of heavyweight denim!

Partly correct, Schitz.

If you wear them from new for a year, without washing them, you will eventually get great fades - and you will also lose most of your friends, and folks will stand at the opposite end of the bar from you in pubs. But hey, denimfreaks don't give a sh*t about such things.....

Alternatively, you can wash them like regular jeans - and after two washes, they are like regular jeans - 'cept they cost you twice as much......

Go figure:eeek::D;)

schitzo

Suspended
Partly correct, Schitz.

If you wear them from new for a year, without washing them, you will eventually get great fades - and you will also lose most of your friends, and folks will stand at the opposite end of the bar from you in pubs. But hey, denimfreaks don't give a sh*t about such things.....

Alternatively, you can wash them like regular jeans - and after two washes, they are like regular jeans - 'cept they cost you twice as much......

I must have figured this badly cos i just bought some 21oz Iron Hearts today!

So far my cleaning method for the heavy Lees has been to follow the wash instructions, which say to dry clean. Seems to work pretty well and isn't expensive for jeans. Somehow I just don't think that when they do go through their first 2 washes they'll come out the other end having morphed into 'regular jeans' that cost less than half the price tag

MM, what you've just said was laid down so authoritatively it must be based on first hand experience, right? In which case perhaps you might do us all the favour of naming and shaming the model/s that morphed into regular jeans after only 2 washes?

Ishmael

Practically Family

1) On stinkage. Not the case, for me. My jeans don't tend to stink unless I sweat profusely in them. But I don't sweat in the winter, and I don't wear jeans in the summer. Hence, just wash 2-3 times a year.
2) You need to get yourself some decent denim Major.

majormajor

One Too Many
1) On stinkage. Not the case, for me. My jeans don't tend to stink unless I sweat profusely in them. But I don't sweat in the winter, and I don't wear jeans in the summer. Hence, just wash 2-3 times a year.
2) You need to get yourself some decent denim Major.

Hi Ish

I find it quite amusing that everyone who does the "not washing" technique claims that they are the one that doesn't smell. Perhaps your friends are just being polite.

I've been collecting denim since probably before you were born, Ish - so I do have plenty of decent denim:D;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy