Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Edward VIII at the V&A

GateXC

One of the Regulars
Last time I was at the V&A I picked up this postcard of one of Edward's tweed suits. Great stuff. Figured that it would be much appreciated here. (Sorry it's a bit dark)

GateXC

One of the Regulars
They don't so much have Edward memorabilia but they do have a huge collection of clothing and fashion and a couple of his things as a result. Yeah he was pretty short. There was an exhibit at the Metropolitan Museum of Art a couple years back of his and Mrs. Simpson's clothing (including their wedding suits) which was pretty cool, but you could tell that he was only like 5'7" or so.

Thanks.

Marty M.

Vendor
But can you dunk like Spud Web?

Baron Kurtz said:
Well, if he was 5'7" he was taller than me.

V&A = Victoria and Albert museum, Londinium

bk

Baron,
Doe's the V&A have a web site? Sadley, my doctor, Dr. Jelly Finger, reports that I'm officially under the 5'7" mark myself.

Marty

yachtsilverswan

Familiar Face
Edward and Mrs. Simpson strolling the decks enroute to wintering in Palm Beach (what a great topcoat):

edwardandwallis5jq.png
[/URL][/IMG]

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
If he was only 5' 7" he must have had a really, really slight build. From the pictures I have seen he looks to be at least taller than I am (5' 9") and probably wore roughly the same size suit as I do.

Btw, looking at that suit it must have been a fairly early one for him, based on the way the pattern lies on the coat I bet it is a sack suit and not one of the more fitted models he was wearing by the mid 20s.

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
Marc Chevalier said:
I'd say the opposite. That brown plaid suit looks to be from the late '60s or early '70s. Look at the size of the pocket flaps!

Strange. I never would have figured that a British coat from the 70s would be undarted. The lapels do look suspicious though.

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Edward Vlll

Edward, Duke of Windsor, died in Paris on 28th May, 1972, so there is just the possibility that this is a late 60s or early 70s suit, which is what it appears to be. He was in his 70s, by the way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy