Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Experts: NYC About Due For Major Hurricane

Story

I'll Lock Up
Considering the number of FLers in NYC and the environs, consider this both a FL P.S.A. and history lesson.

Jun 11, 2007 6:20 pm US/Eastern
Experts: NYC About Due For Major Hurricane
Chertoff Warns Of Likely 130 MPH Winds, 30-Foot Surge

Lonnie Quinn
Reporting

(CBS) NEW YORK When we talk about hurricanes, most of the time we talk about when they're going to hit the Southeast.

But on Monday, officials from the Department of Homeland Security and the Office of Emergency Management talked about a major hurricane hitting our area.

Experts say it will happen. They just don't know exactly when.

Blinding winds. Driving rain. Massive floods. We've seen the pictures of a hurricane's destructive power. Now emergency officials say it's time for this area to prepare for the worst.

"Most people visualize hurricanes as a problem for the southeast part of the United States, but we do have hurricanes here," Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff said Monday.

The last hurricane to hit New York was the so-called Long Island Express in 1938. It killed 50 people on the Island, more than 700 along the Eastern seaboard. In the years since, hurricanes with names like Bob, Floyd, and Gloria, have also made an impact, but we've been spared a direct hit.

"The ten strike for a hurricane is one that hits New Jersey and of course they run counter clockwise so it pushes the water into the Hudson River," Chertoff said.

Experts say a major hurricane could pack 130 mph winds, and a 30-foot storm surge. There would be flooding in all five boroughs, the subways and much of lower Manhattan could be under water. Damage estimates would top $100 billion.

"Visualize how you are going to feel if that big storm surge comes rushing up the Hudson River, the East River, and you say to yourself, 'oh, gee, I should have gotten out of here.'"

On Monday, officials from New York's Emergency Management gave Chertoff details of their hurricane-readiness plan, which includes ways to evacuate 3 million people and prove shelter for 600,000 others.

"The planning that has been done here is second to none in terms of identifying shelters, evacuation plans, security plans and training and equipment," Chertoff said.

But officials stress that for any plan to work, people must follow it.

"The mayor is going to test our own city emergency procedures by staying to week in this facility in July to test how well he can operate and how well our continuity of operations plan is," Deputy Mayor Ed Skyler said.

We're also due for a major earthquake. Now THAT worries me. I recall I was sitting at my desk at about 6:00 a.m. a few years back and it started to shake. 'What the...?' I thought it somehow might have been caused by the Amtrak line down the street, but when I turned on the news I learned we had a small earthquake. I know, nothing to the Californians, but not many, if any, of our buildings here are earthquake proof.

Regards,

Senator Jack

Story

I'll Lock Up

I see the bad moon arising.
I see trouble on the way.
I see earthquakes and lightnin.
I see bad times today.

Dont go around tonight,
Well, its bound to take your life,
Theres a bad moon on the rise.

I hear hurricanes ablowing.
I know the end is coming soon.
I fear rivers over flowing.
I hear the voice of rage and ruin.

A useful bookmark
www.ready.gov/

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Plastic sheeting and duct tape ain't gonna save you now.
I'm just up the hill from the Hudson myself...our garage will be very soggy toast. Probably our basement as well.
If there's any warning whatsoever, I'll grab the old folks and hop a flight west.

The picture on the right below was taken in Elmsford, NY, 5 miles from me and well inland.
On the left was Westhampton, long before the LIE and "the Hamptons."
(On the bright side, real estate values might finally come to their senses out that way.)

New York Daily Mirror, September 23, 1938
1-1938%20hurricane.jpg

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Jack: I remember that earthquake. I lived at 215th St in Manhattan at the time, very near the tracks that twist past Spuyten Duyvel. I thought the train was making a lot more noise than usual, then realized something odd was going on. The epicenter was in Westchester as I recall.
The point about the big hurricane hitting NY is that it doesn't have to be all that big to cause catastrophic damage. Because New York harbor, with the Jersey and Long Island shorelines, is built like such a funnel, a moderate sized storm anywhere in about a 200 mile wide track could shove huge amounts of water into the mouth of the Hudson. Even Katrina was not a direct hit, as I recall. I plan on being as far as possible from the subway system when it happens. And I'm definitely not considering buying real estate in Mill Basin or Breezy Point.

Story

I'll Lock Up
Fletch said:
Plastic sheeting and duct tape ain't gonna save you now.

How many New Yawkers have the basic elements to get by when it's a simple power outage?: batteries, flashlights, canned tuna, ramen noodles, ad nauseum? Or the stereotypical 'Bug Out Bag' in their closet? [huh]

There's no excuse for at least attempting the basics.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy