Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fascinating documentary on PBS

Jedburgh OSS

One of the Regulars
Had a touch of insomnia the other night and decided to see what was on the picture radio. It was 3:00 AM and PBS was showing its last P.O.V. episode for the 2008 season.

It was called Inheritance, about the daughter of Amon Goeth, brought to prominent notoriety in Schindler's List, and her desire to meet Goeth's housekeeper who was a 15 year old Jewish girl at the time. Helen Jonas is currently living in Colt's Neck, New Jersey and flew to Poland to meet Monika Hertwig. They met at the site of Plaszow concentration camp, now a memorial, and lit candles for those who died at the death camp. They also took a walk through Goeth's villa where Helen worked as a housekeeper. That took some monumental strength on her part considering what she witnessed.

You can watch this online until January 4 at http://www.pbs.org/pov/pov2008/inheritance/fullfilm.html

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
OMG! I saw it. I was in tears. Too much.
The same evening they had, right before it, an equally well done documentary about two friends who, basically on their own, retraced the entire route of Marco Polo, in 1993. Fabulous adventure!
All in all, it was three solid hours of great TV.

Jedburgh OSS

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the tip; was it on PBS, too? I've often wondered what the legacy of the children of these Nazi monsters has become. Goebbels six were poisoned, Goering had a daughter, Josef Mengele's had or have a successful tractor company, and that's about all I've heard of without doing some research. There was a book published in 2001, The Children of Nazi Leaders, but I haven't read it.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
You can't even call him a war criminal. He was just a mass murderer. A psychopathic monster.
What was truly sad was that the woman who was the survivor could not bring herself to forgive the other woman, even tho she was not in any way responsible, and was deeply penitent about her parents' role. But you can't condemn the survivor for feeling the way she did. Just tragic all around

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I watched nearly all of Inheritance, but had to leave for dinner right before they finally met. :(

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
dhermann1 said:
You can't even call him a war criminal. He was just a mass murderer. A psychopathic monster.
What was truly sad was that the woman who was the survivor could not bring herself to forgive the other woman, even tho she was not in any way responsible, and was deeply penitent about her parents' role. But you can't condemn the survivor for feeling the way she did. Just tragic all around

But such a horrible way to learn...having her angry mom yell at her that she'd end up like her father...then slowly learn her father was hanged. So much damage. Her father was a villain, but for a child to shoulder that.

And the survivors, so brave. I went to Auschwitz once. Its eerie to say the least.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Yes, I admired her (the daughter) so much. And she has a daughter with substance abuse problems and is raising her daughter's child. You could see the weight of the world weighing her down.

Chas

One Too Many
Monsters? I don't agree. I think that it is inherently dangerous to dehumanize NAZIs and others of their ilk; Hutu Militia, post-Yugoslavian paramilitary groups (from more than one faction!) and the Khmer Rouge.

The only way to prevent genocide is to recognize that human beings are capable of some pretty despicable acts and to intervene whenever the signs of an impending genocide present themselves.

That requires caution, courage and critical thinking.

DutchIndo

A-List Customer
I also caught that great show reminds me of a similar personal event in my life. Being a child I had no control over what my Dad did (I had half sisters he ran out on ). When I met my half sister she let a torrent of hate and frustration out on me. 40+ years of pent up rage was unleashed on me. It wasn't my fault of course but I was the face of my Dad. I know exactly how the SS daughter felt. There is a feeling of great shame, anger and a desire to defend ones self. I couldn't defend my Dad he was wrong and my sister had every right to vent. Talk about feeling like a sacrificial animal !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn