Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fashion's Fall for this economy

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
I really enjoyed the tough tone of this article's intro:
Two Words for Fall: Toughen Up
ONE of the reasons fashion is a young person’s game is that older people keep wishing it were dead. Consider how often we’ve heard the groanings that unreal amounts of money, celebrity and marketing are knocking the more genuine stuff out of fashion. Yet even if the complaint seems valid, it is largely an older generation’s reaction to the speed and inorganic nature of change, and not a result of our changing relation to what we wear.
Fashion is not dead, but the world has slowed down and sobered up.

full:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/19/fashion/19WRAP.html

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
I have always suspected that "Fashion" was the last resort of persons with "no style" too much money and not enough "Little Grey Cells"

I love to see the Younger generation experimenting with their looks, trying on a look, a character finding what they like, and where they fit in.

When you see a Matronly Lady of 50 eyeing off a "Brittany Spears" top in Harrods (Yes Madonna "I'm looking at you!") its all rather sad (I'm NOT Guy Richie OK!)...Flipping Heck!

P.S Have you noticed that designers never wear there own creations, they tend to wear jeans and t shirts...Mmmm.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
BinkieBaumont said:

I love to see the Younger generation experimenting with their looks, trying on a look, a character finding what they like, and where they fit in.
I do that, by wearing a suit (not all the time, only at parties and concerts or similar occaisions) and a hat (I do wear this all the time). I decided that I did not like hoodies and jeans so much so I changed my style, owing also to influence from old films.

But although I am from the younger generation (I'm 16) I'm practially the only one of my agegroup to wear vintage-inspired clothing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steveng183