Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Field Desk

MPicciotto

Practically Family
Well first you need a table. Until the large desk that I have came out very late in the war all the field desks were set on top of tables. I'd suggest finding one of these:

http://store.colemans.com/cart/table-folding-field-us-gi-unused-p-1940.html

The US Army field table. For authenticity yours should have square legs and not round ones as are used later. But the design is virtually unchanged from WW2 until the 80's. On top of that you can put your typewriter and other "stuff" For a shelf and doubles as storage/carrying case for your "stuff" I'd get an ammo or ration crate. Like one of these:

http://www.rationcrate.com/

Alternatively you could use other crates that may be easier to find for you depending on where your WarCo was located. An Army Air Base is going to have lots of stuff in crates of all sizes for aircraft and vehicle maintenance. A French town might have some wine crates...

Matt

Phantomfixer

Practically Family
For a field table cheap: Find a few wood skids, like the ones behind walmart. Carefully take them apart, harder than it sounds. Cut the boards to length(your choice) and piece together a table. We did this to add to our field table inventory. The only cost was paint and hinges. The wood is rough so a belt sander is needed to smooth out the top when put together. Paint is not required as they were built "in theater". Made a wash basin too, from skids.

I like the idea of an old foot locker for a field desk. Very cool.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I wanted to share this with others.

In another forum which I frequent, a member recently asked for suggestions regarding a portable/carry-anywhere desk. Another member recommended an army-surplus field-desk. They look like this:

dscf1464.jpg

Apparently they date to WWII, and they're made of sheet-steel. I just think it's really cool. I thought others here might get a kick out of seeing it.

The same desk, updated for the 21st century:

field-desk-496.jpg

MPicciotto

Practically Family
The large field desk is an M-1945 model also called a "Pacific" model field desk. I'm assuming they were used only near the end of the war. They are actually made of wood with metal and fiber reinforcing much like an old steamer trunk. The stool straps into the "lid". I have one at home. I'd also like to point out that I've seen them over here still being used to this day, albeit more for general storage then anything else.

Matt Picciotto
Firebase Maholic
Kandahar, Afghanistan

That is quite an impressive website!
I get their sales flyer with all sorts of great stuff. Going there is fun, they get in some really weird items What i am always a sucker for is the military stuff was made to specifically carry , store , hold something with a precise fit and i am always interest to see if it can be used for something else...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic