Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Finding "The Hat", Help with.

HautenDandy

New in Town
Hello fellows,

For sometime, I have been on the search for a certain hat, a hat like my great grandpa wore. I have asked about it in the family many many times, but nothing was known of it other then the obvious observations. I have been told that the hat had its own awe and presence.

Very high crown, about 6 inchs or more, High pinch I believe is the term. I saw it sitting by a hat that had a 5 1/2 inch crown and it was a bit taller is why I estimate 6".

The brim was, another estimate, 3 1/2 to 4 inchs, quite a bit larger then the 2 3/4" fedora it was sitting next to. It was also a very thick brim, but quite floppy, kinda like a poet hat I think it might be called. Or a hat with a sopping wet brim.

For me I dont care if it has nap or not, I have had zero success finding hats like it, very close to it perhaps, like some of the stetsons and I think an akubra adventurer I believe, but none had the look of this hat. With lack of pictures of it or him in the hat, thats all i can say. Also the inside of the had said nothing but there was a lighter brown silk lining, the inner band was also a cloth im guessing silk or cotton as Ive been told he didnt like leather.

Does any one know of where I could get hat bodies/capeliners I think they are called, that would have these measurements? Or is it very difficult to properly make such a hat? Im learning tailoring so other then the blocks that i imagine are required I would have the sewing equipment.

Thank you kindly!

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Something like this, maybe? This started off as a Western hat that had a 6 1/2 tall crown. I don't know of a fedora that would have a 3 1/2 - 4 inches wide brim. The Herbert Johnson "Poet" you mentioned was the foundation for the Indiana Jones fedora. The Indy Raiders had a dimensional cut brim at 2 3/4 inches front to back and 2 5/8 from side to side. All of the hats below have tall crowns....

Indy_Hat_02.jpg

Stagecoach_Indy_1_B.jpg

Indy_Hat_06.jpg

What you're describing, the 6 inches tall crown, thick felt, and 3 1/2 to 4 inches wide brim sounds like a Western hat...

Turkey_Creek_SC_2.jpg

Turkey_Creek_SC_1.jpg

Turkey_Creek_SC_3.jpg

r_indy_03.jpg

Stagecoach_B.jpg

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
Any pictures of your grandfather wearing the hat, perhaps? I was able to figure out my own grandfathers hat by finding a picture of him wearing it, as well as using a picture of my cousin in the local paper who was wearing it.

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
With lack of pictures of it or him in the hat, thats all i can say. Also the inside of the had said nothing but there was a lighter brown silk lining, the inner band was also a cloth im guessing silk or cotton as Ive been told he didnt like leather.
You didn't read all.
No pictures available, only the description and from it, a western must be.

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
A brown Stagecoach with 6" crown and 4 1/2" brim
It's a hat made by late 70's to 1981. Maybe if you can narrow a time lapse, more help could be given.
brownstage01.jpg

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
6" Crown height and 4" brim covers A LOT of territory. You're probably more into western territory, or one of the crossover styles.

You probably won't find an "off the rack" hat to suit your purposes.

There are some interesting threads that might help your research:

This thread has scans of Miller-Stockman catalogs from the various decades. You'll find pages like this:
Image%201478.jpg

Here's the pre 1940's Stetson Dress Hats thread.

Similarly: Pre 1940's Stetson Western.

If you can point out something that kinda, sorta, looks like your grandfather's hat, it would be very, very helpful.

ingineer

One Too Many
We are here to help but insufficient info
As Jlee pointed out there are tons of variations
Look and look again thru the threads,
Some great hats out there, find one with that southern western charm
Stealin pic of one of Alan's 30's depression era Stetsons. Luv this
ptb 400 at least to reproduce

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
What kind of guy was your grandfather? Working-man? Artistic? Where was he from? The reason I ask is that it would help to narrow down the field somewhat. If he was an artist or cosmopolitan-type, you might be looking for the "Left Bank" hat (also called the Poet's hat as well as other names) of which there was a discussion on this forum last summer, I believe. Just a shot in the dark.

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
On reading your rather vague description, the first hat that came to mind was that worn by Tom Baker during his stint as the Doctor in the 70's.....

Close or am I miles off ?

Last edited:

HautenDandy

New in Town
Was similar to the resistol stagecoach and following hats only with slightly larger floppy brim.

The Tom Baker is spot on!

My mum also searched a bit for it and ironically came up with two Van Helsings(anthony hopkins, hugh jackman) that it also slightly resembled only they're a bit more disheveled. but the look is about right. But definitely like that Tom Baker hat. Gotta love the Doctor!

I have heard of Akubra hats being quality, but I see, on hatsdirect they are quite cheap, even for the deluxes, are they not fur felt?

Thanks again for everyones input, good to see a solid enthusiast community rather then the regular troll wars that take place in some forums.

RJR

Don't be frightened by the prices on Akubra hats.They are real quality and with the very favorable exchange rate,very affordable.

ingineer

One Too Many
i remember Mike at Northwest Hats making one of those in a 3" brim.
Good guy, talk to him , you will be delighted
Akubras are all fur felt bunny, everyone here seems to be happy

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
The brim of a hat can become floppier with the use outside in the rain (being soaked several times, remember it's NOT an umbrella) or applying a product that removes the shellac (alcohol?).
Akubra hats are nice. As Richard points out everyone seems happy with them. I only own one Akubra (not the best quality they made) and it's a good hat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran