Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fish and chips and other balms for the soul

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
scottyrocks said:
I just had another of my favorites: a gyro with all the fixin's - the ground, spiced lamb, lettuce, tomatoes, onions, and very well prepared white yogurt sauce on pita bread.
You got my mouth watering......I like it well done off the spit....like the butt of a roast.

Miss Scarlet

One of the Regulars
Creeping Past said:
Beef dripping is the best frying fat in my opinion. That's one of the treats when visiting the north of England. Beef dripping's been abolished in most of the south, unfortunately.

I don't seem to have a problem finding beef dripping, I buy either the block stuff from the supermarkets, or the butchers sell tubs of the stuff. But I agree it is the best frying fat and perfect for making toad in the hole, one of my favourites :p My trick is I put capers in the batter, it gives it a gorgeous mustardy flavour nom nom.

Beaubeau

New in Town
Foofoogal said:
about time for me some good Louisiana gumbo. the brown kind, not the red. lol

Nothing better than a good gumbo, except maybe an excellent jambalaya.

I would give a kingdom for good hushpuppies or collards or good grits or an excellent biscuit and gravy. What's life without a good Chicken and Dumplings or salmon croquettes or Brunswick stew?

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Gyros

scottyrocks said:
... another of my favorites: a gyro with all the fixin's - the ground, spiced lamb, lettuce, tomatoes, onions, and very well prepared white yogurt sauce on pita bread.

Pluto's at 104th S Cicero Avenue in Oak Lawn, Illinois
serves the best gyro in the whole wide world-with fries second to none.
...but Pluto's is a drive in joint, no delivery service.
And I've got a mess of office work and research papers all over;
and Pluto's is a cop hangout, and I still haven't bought
Oak Lawn's 2010-11 car windshield decal, deadlined August 16th;
so I might pick up a ticket if I take a spin out for gyros.
Then again, I might not. I could park one or two blocks down
the street--two would be better cover. And the desk mess can wait.

That's it, going for gyros. :D

HepKitty

One Too Many
Ethan Bentley said:
I've not had any Indiana Creme Pie for a long while. One of those never lasts long in our house. :)

sorry for the blonde question but waht is Indiana Creme Pie?

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
scottyrocks said:
I just had another of my favorites: a gyro with all the fixin's - the ground, spiced lamb, lettuce, tomatoes, onions, and very well prepared white yogurt sauce on pita bread.

And oh yeah I forgot the feta cheese. FETA CHEEEESE!!

HepKitty

One Too Many
scottyrocks said:

yes that wonderful yogurts sauce, tzatziki... I used to get some Fladenbrot from the Turkish Markets when I lived in Germany and dip it in tzatziki. ohso good!

btw I looked up recipes for Welsh rarebit and it sounds delish. here is the recipe that I found, and it does include beer already :D

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/welsh-rarebit-recipe/index.html

I don't get to have fish & chips very often these days, but it is a favorite of mine when done correctly.

In the past there was a fine English pub in Pasadena called "The John Bull Pub" which was in a neat old building in Pasadena for a long time and then moved to a comfy big place further on down the road. Their chef was a Fish & Chips expert and she was from England. When you went there and ordered they would tell you what type of fish they were using I can't remember Cod versus Haddock maybe. So if you were particular you could opt out for another pub-grub favorite. My mom loved to go there for their Fish & Chips. Unfortunately some time in the 1990's the owner closed shop and went back to England in such a hurry he did not even entertain the idea of seling the place. Well there was a total lack of local good fish & chips with that turn of events.

Sometime about 5 years ago "The British Pub" opend up on the south side of Colorado Blvd towards the east end of Pasadena and they had fine fish and chips which was great to have back as a choice. Then about 1 year or so ago I went with friends to Lucky Baldwins the pub in Sierra Madre and their fish and Chips were exceptional even better than the British pub which was really good. (There is the original Lucky Baldwins in Pasadena in old town but I have never had their fish & chips so I can't rate them.

Anyway it's nice to get some top notch fish & chips again.

:eek:fftopic:
Also the Sierra Madre Lucky Baldwins is located on the triangle in town and if you have watched the Kevin McCarthy original B&W version of "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" you have seen the Triangle in Sierra Madre. In the film McCarthy and the girl are on the run from the pod people and hide out in the second floor office of the local dentist or doctor. The office looks down on the Triangle and there is a scene where they watched pods are being distrbuted from farm trucks to other trucks at the Triangle!:eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy