Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fossil collections?

KeyGrip

A-List Customer
Before the advent of modern paleontology it was not uncommon for wealthy men with an interest in nature to have a fossil collection alongside their stuffed heads. Since little was known about the origin of the fossils, many were regarded as novelties to be displayed for aesthetic purposes. Some even believed that fossils were not animal remains but were pieces of art placed on earth by god for human enjoyment. As a kid I collected rocks and was lucky enough to have the odd fossil in my collection. Does anybody here share this interest? Any pictures?

Idledame

Practically Family
Well, doesn't everyone? Oh, I guess not. I don't have a lot but then I have so much other stuff
mfj22moRzvfbryRm-Bnea8grBEWD8bzs0300.jpg

Ammonites, coprolite (does that count?) fish skeleton, and my trilobites.
Now, how many skulls do you have? I have 2 pig skulls from Luaus (sp?) and a possom skull I found. Plus the chicken skeleton I put together for fun. Which my cat tried to eat even after I boiled it and bleached it.
VQ87RdIRX8sDhfAQbei7yL+cE4K4Tmof0300.jpg

It's on the china cabinet in my dining room. No there is no china in my china cabinet! No room!

Idledame

Practically Family
I would think that if you've got rocks you probably have fossils. We have a shale here called Palos Verdes stone that, if you have the patience to sit and pry apart the layers (or throw hunks at a wall) often reveal fish and other sea life fossils from millions of years ago. Palos Verdes is actually a big hill now, but at one time it was under the ocean. But fossils are found in a variety of rocks. In downtown Los Angeles there is a tour offered that shows people fossils that can be found in the marble and granite and such that form the buildings. So the next time you're waiting in line at your bank, look at the walls! (providing they aren't plastic or phony wood paneling)
BTW I just remembered that ammonites are the ones that look more like a snail, so those long cones in the dark gray rocks are a gastropod whose name I don't recall right now.
I guess this might seem like a thread not related to vintage but I always wanted a curio cabinet like I saw sometimes in old movies and read about in old books. So it sort of is related in that way.

KeyGrip

A-List Customer
I did a google search for "Paleontology Santa Cruz" and found the San Francisco Bay Paleontological Society; an informal group of hobbyists and students that conduct digs in the Bay Area. I bet there's a similar group in SoCal as well.

scarlett

One of the Regulars
My husband and brother in law are really into this. They go on digs in Bakersfield and have found shark's teeth and alot of different fossils there. I'm not sure if that site is still open to the public, the college was taking it over.

rebelgtp

One of the Regulars
Idledame said:
coprolite (does that count?)

and here i thought i was alone in having that in my collection, my grandma actually gave it to me as a christmas present one year i'm not sure how i should have taken that [huh] lol .

i've got several fossils ranging from teeth, to fish, shells and of course the coprolite. my uncle has a stone weighting maybe 400 lbs that has TONS of fossils in it i so want to get that from him.

oh i also live near the john day fossil beds, and have a field report this coming term on the fossil beds.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany