Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fountain Pen Ink and Vintage Pen

poetman

A-List Customer
I've seen some threads on the FL about fountain pens, and I have two questions for fellow enthusiasts: what are some modern inks (blue, black or blue-black) that have a vintage look to them? and what are some vintage fountain pens that write really smooth that can be found for an affordable price. I have a fine a medium Waterman Phileas and want to find something smoother or at least vintage looking.

Thanks!

Edward

Bartender
Regarding inks, you might find this thread useful:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=28545

As to the pens... It seems to me that fountain pens are a very personal thing, and one person's taste won't always match that of another. Subject to that caveat, I have tried many pens, and the smoothest in my experience that are still reasonably affordable are: lower end Watermans (including the aforementioned Phileas), Parkers, and the Chinese Hero brand. If you're looking for something genuinely vintage, you can find Parker 51s on eBay all day for about bfifty US dollars or so. The P51 design was first marketed in 1940/41. "First Year" pens with the jewell on both ends tend to be very valuable in good order. Pens with a vacuumatic filler (1940-48) tend to be cheaper than the later aeromatic filler, though the aeromatics are easier to use and tend to be less likely to need an overhaul before they can be pressed into daily use. Most of my P51s are aerometrics from the 50s. I would tend to avoid the Mk III / last model 51s (1969-72, with the distinctive squared-off body end), as the plastic on those has a reputation for being much softer and prone to warping.

Very useful website: www.parker51.com

A modern pen designed after the P51 that is well worth looking into is the Chinese Hero 100. (Specifically the 100 as opposed to the cheaper, not as good 300 or 600 series models). Mine is a beautiful writer, every bit as smoothe as my genuine 51s. Where it loses out to the "real thing" is simply that it is somewhat slimmer. Not enough for it to be less than comfortable as a writing instrument, but I do prefer the slightly plumper body of the original. I bought my H100 from a US eBay seller; looked everywhere in Beijing last month and couldn't find them there, ironically! (The Hero factory is based in Shanghai). There is also a very nice all-metal 'Flighter' model of the H100, very similar to the rare and valuable Flighter P-51.

ETA: YMMV, of course, but I always considered the Phileas to be pure art-deco in its design, though I acknowledge that as a cartridge pen, albeit useable with an adaptor, it lacks a certain something when compared to a true fountain pen.

Ink- what do you want as to vintage? Should it look like the ink did when used back then or do you want it to look like it was written back then but used now? Any of the name brands for blue, black, or blue-black are pretty good. I like Aurora black a lot and I have a ton of different blues from Private Reserve. Blue black is not one of my fav's.

Vintage pens - we are talking about used pens here because it's difficult to find new old stock pens. So what happens is you find a vintage pen you like if it writes nice good, if not you send it out for some improvements by a nib meister.

OR you get an Esterbrook that is in working condition and get several of their New old stock RENEW POINT nibs and find what is smooth for you. (Note I have found that it is harder for a fine and extra fine point to be smooth than a medium or broad nib.)

Jay

Practically Family
Edward, thanks for mentioning the Hero 100. I was looking for a Parker 51 but couldn't find one in my price range (I admit I didn't look very hard) but I now see I can buy a decent substitute. And for about as much as a Waterman Phileas, no less.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Good quality vintage pens include those made by Parker, Sheaffer and Waterman. I'm particularly partial to the Sheaffer Balance, the Parker '51' and the Parker 'Duofold' (of which there are ENDLESS variations!!)

What do you mean by a modern ink which 'writes vintage', by the way? Are you referring to the colour, perhaps?

poetman

A-List Customer
Thanks for all the info! As far as ink is concerned, I would like the ink to look as it did when originally produced in the 40's. I would also like it to be heavily water-resistant/water-proof.

As for the vintage pen. My Phileas is nice, but I would like to find something either as smooth or smoother. I don't want to have any trouble with leaking. I love the weight, length, and thickness of the Phileas, so something with a similar body type would be nice. I just want a smooth nib. I read somewhere that vintage nibs were often gold or gold plated unlike modern nibs. In any case, while looking for a vintage pen--and not being able to test any out--I don't know where to start.

Thanks again!

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Let me say this now:

A GOOD fountain pen...will NEVER leak. I've got pens in my collection dating back to the 1910s and they work fine without any leaking at all. Everyone has this fear of a fountain pen exploding in their hands and having ink gush out onto the page...In most cases, that won't happen, unless someone's strapped a stick of dynamite to the pen-barrel.

For vintage-coloured inks, perhaps look at Parker Quink (First created in 1931), and Sheaffer Skrip (first created in 1922). For waterproof inks, perhaps look up Noodler's Bulletproof Black.

Davep

One of the Regulars
I've got my eyes on getting a Conklin "Victory" fountain pen. I'm not sure if this is a pen that is coming out, or has already been introduced. They appear on the Conklin website and various internet pen sites. But I can't find them in stock.

victory_banner.jpg

Edward

Bartender
Jay said:
Edward, thanks for mentioning the Hero 100. I was looking for a Parker 51 but couldn't find one in my price range (I admit I didn't look very hard) but I now see I can buy a decent substitute. And for about as much as a Waterman Phileas, no less.

No problem - they're the nearest I've found to the 'real thing'. Ironically, they're asctually, IMO, closer to the original 51 than the 51 Special Parker brought out a few years ago.

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
poetman said:
I've seen some threads on the FL about fountain pens, and I have two questions for fellow enthusiasts: what are some modern inks (blue, black or blue-black) that have a vintage look to them? and what are some vintage fountain pens that write really smooth that can be found for an affordable price. I have a fine a medium Waterman Phileas and want to find something smoother or at least vintage looking.

Thanks!

If you like Waterman, I really do, may I suggest the "Expert" model.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats