Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FS: Bulova 1944 Minute Man vintage watch

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Bulova 1944 Minute Man (1944-48 model of the Minute Man)
21j 10BM movement (L2 = 1952 replacement),
10k yellow RGP case with stainless back, newer refinished dial

$75 including worldwide shipping from Germany, safely packaged in a box.

PM me if interested. Payment by PayPal.

This is a Bulova 1944 Minute Man (7-digit code on case ending with 4) with a replacement 21 Jewel 10BM movement dating from 1952 (Bulova date code L2 on movement). The original, model-correct movement would have been a 17 Jewel 10AK, so the owner apparently upgraded the movement for some reason.

The watch has been fully serviced last November/December in London, being completely disassembled, cleaned, oiled and reassembled. When fully wound, the movement runs for more than 24 hours (about 30 hours or more). Timekeeping is within the usual accuracy of vintage mechanical watches, +/- 3 minutes.

Case:
10k yellow rolled gold plate case with stainless back. Age-related normal wear to case with no extra wear to the edges, no offending scratches, only surface scratches that have been polished.
There is a slight movement of ease in the lower hinge where the longer strap is attached, but it doesn't affect the functionality.

Movement:
The 21 Jewel 10BM 1952 movement starts almost immediately upon winding.

Crystal:
Original GS crystal, polished.

Dial:
Refinished dial in model-correct butler white (= "silver dial" in period ads) with correct fonts and sharply defined lines, a well-made refinish. There is only one tiny gap in the subseconds dial at 50 seconds.
Blued steel hour and minute hands.

Strap:
Dark brown genuine crocodile 14mm leather strap, regular length. 14mm is a women's width in today's standards, so this strap fits a wrist circumference of 160mm to 180mm.
I have other 14mm regular length straps, some of which are a tad longer, and may be able to replace this one for another if you want something specific and I happen to have it.
Alternatively I'd be happy to order one for you and install it; the same goes if you need a XL 14mm strap. This would take a little extra time because my supplier is based in the UK, and I'm in Germany.

Size:
Case 36mm lug to lug x 25mm without crown
Crystal 23.4mm x 21.4mm
If you are new to vintage watches, make sure you understand these dimensions. This is a very very small watch by today's standards of men's watches.

If you buy this watch, you can be assured that I have described it faithfully and that the watch has been working reliably over the past 3 months since servicing. Note, however, that due to the age of vintage watches any part can go anytime. Regardless, Bulova watches of the 1930s-50s are surprisingly well made, and original NOS replacement parts are not too difficult to find on eBay should the need arise eventually.
Also, understand that vintage mechanical watches require servicing about once every 1-2 years, or perhaps at larger intervals if the watch is seldom worn. If the watch is not regularly worn, it is recommended that you wind it at least every 2 weeks to keep the oils distributed. A watch that has not been wound for several weeks should still work perfectly fine, but it may need a very light tap with your index finger against the case side to get it started.

Note that the closeup photos magnify any minor scratches.

Same model on Watchophila for reference:
http://www.watchophilia.com/photogallery/bulovas-1940-1949/a1945-minute-man/

If you are new to vintage watches, don't hesitate to ask general questions.

For more information on vintage Bulova watches, I recommend MyBulova.com as well as Watchophila.com. These two databases combined cover the majority of the 1930s-50s models and a good portion of the other decades.

9lFgrQB.jpg

AhuXD0l.jpg

Sv5CVm2.jpg

pwJ1wHZ.jpg

pU799Xq.jpg

9hDg2K4.jpg

HtD4wIM.jpg

7Cvge5F.jpg

Last edited:

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Yes, quite the demand here. Have replied individually. For the record, here is the 1944 Minute Man on my 160mm wrist. Repeat: 160mm wrist circumference, measured right on the skin. That's very slim, so you have to account for that if you have a bigger wrist.

boc5Xs6.jpg

I'm in the process of learning to do my own servicing and repairing of vintage watches, for several reasons - the main reason is that watchmakers in my part of the world have never even seen any 30s wristwatch. Also, it's cheaper and more reliable than sending it to someone who may not know what he's doing.
As soon as I'm confident that my servicing is fine in the long run, I'll sell a few more vintage Bulovas.

I started collecting and wearing vintage watches only recently, and after doing a bit of research I quickly narrowed it down to buying Bulovas and nothing else.

If you're interested in slightly less tiny watches, a lot of the 1950s models could be just right. They're still small by today's standards, but a little bigger than 30s-40s watches. The designs are also a tad more daring.

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Inbox cleared.

I should add that getting started to learning to service and repair vintage Bulovas may take me 3-6 months because I'm up to my ears in work. Will keep those posted who are interested.

I did however already get the necessarly equipment, tools, liquids etc., and the first five non-runners to work on. I know from my trusted source that something is bound to break on the first attempts, so it's generally recommended to start with cheapies and not with the expensive fully serviced ones.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner