Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FS: Unknown black Cafe Racer 44 (42)

Hi!

I've got for sale an old-ish Cafe Racer jacket, in size 44, but actually fits more like a 42. I wear sz. 40 and this jacket fits me the way 42 would. Just a tad too large.

The brand is nothing fancy. I have no idea who made the jacket, other than that it was made in the USA. It has an Arizona tag but the guy from whom I bought it told me that he had it custom made at some leather shop in Detroit back in the 80's, from the heaviest hide they had - and quite so! The leather on this thing is around 2.5 mm thick, close to 3 at some places (yes, I mean millimeters, not oz). I've compared it to Aero and it's exactly twice as thick as Horween's FQHH Aero is using. I'm sure even Stu would be impressed.

Even though the jacket's around 5kg heavy, the leather is buttery soft and completely pliable. It's quite matte in appearance, not very shiny. Looks and feels very much like Aero's oil pull leather. In any case, very organic and substantial leather. Completely smooth, the leather is not showing grain anywhere except near the cuff on the right sleeve. This jacket isn't made from that corrected grain stuff.

Size 10 YKK main zipper works perfectly and so do the hand-warmer and sleeve zippers. Also features one inside pocket. Rayon lined all the way through, even around the sleeves. Bi-swing back and one that actually works, for a change! Pocket bags are made from a very tough, canvas-like fabric.

The jacket is relatively old, but due to the thickness and the type of leather, I honestly can't imagine it ever looking much better.

It has, however, a few issues, which are:
While the jacket doesn't have as much as a scratch anywhere on it, there is a 5mm cut on the right sleeve. This is something I've done by being an idiot and shutting the car doors while the sleeve was hanging out. This won't get any worse because, again, the leather's too damn thick, but it's there, so... There's a photo of the cut in the gallery.
Lining around the left cuff is a bit messed up due to the original owner wearing a watch (also pictured).

Other than that, not a single thing wrong with it.

Measurements are:
Back length - 25"
Sleeve length - 26"
Chest, pit to pit - 23.5"
Waist - 19.5"

Gallery:
http://s866.photobucket.com/user/DogLizard/library/CR

Again, I know it's not one of the TFL favorite brands, but it is a really great and serious riding jacket that outperforms most supposedly motorcycle jackets from top manufacturers I've had - especially in toughness and weight. I'd love to keep it, but like I said, it's a bit large for me and I've got a Schott CR on the way so... Perhaps someone taller needs a great looking, extremely tough and heavy, no-nonsense Cafe racer jacket to ride in, one that will last you a lifetime. I know I'll probably regret selling it - if it sells - as it's one of the best damn riding jacket I've ever had (simply perfect on a bike) and I can't imagine that damn Schott being in any way better than this, but I have an idea of how I want my jackets to fit and this one doesn't cut it. And if you like super heavy, thick leather jackets, I doubt you'll find anything like this any time soon.

Asking for $175.

Thanks for looking!

Not so good next to that Vanson for 200 bucks and Schott for 230. But I'm just sad to let go of such a jacket for $50 when I know it beats anything I've seen before.

That's 170 with shipping included, of course, by the by.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou