Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Furniture: What goes with Queen Anne?

The Wingnut

One Too Many
(Let me say preemptively that anyone who says 'Prince George of Denmark!' is gonna get a knuckle sandwich.)

So, I'm picking up a striped green Queen Anne style couch, free. It arrives in about a month. It's in great shape.

This changes the decor / theme in the front room a bit. It's classic, no doubt would appear in any period from the 1700s on up through the modern day and no doubt would have been around in the '20s, '30s and '40s. I still want to keep the theme in the front room '30s...any suggestions as to distinctly '30s styles or period correct styles of furniture that wouldn't clash painfully with the couch?

Help the clueless single bachelor....

Phobic

New in Town
Disclaimer: I am not an interior decorator, but I did grow up with one, and seem to have picked up things through osmosis.

Seeing as Queen Anne is a relatively simple style of furniture, I'd say your pretty safe to do as you please. Just make sure that your wood or upholstery colors work together. I would stay away from mixing with anything wicker, or "rustic". I wouldn't suggest mixing it with highly stylized seating, but a highly stylized table, hutch, cabinet, etc could work very well. I would be careful about mixing with leather or metal furniture, but as long as the colors work you should be safe.

I find that creating the style of a particular era (I.E. 20's or 30's) is much moer dependent on what's on the walls of the room than the furniture in the room. Since you say you already have that feel, the couch should fit in nicely.

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Magazines...

If you want to pickup some quick tips about decorating, go to the magazine rack. For what you've asked, I'd recommend "Traditional Home" for a general sense of that "timeless" look. Also, Architectural Digest does an issue about once a year focused on Hollywood homes. Most of the articles are in B/W and deal with Golden Era movie stars. Interesting read.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Both great suggestions and great advice!

"Queen Anne" can be incorporated into just about any decor, especially a 20's - 30's - 40's decor as the Colonial Revival movement was in full swing throughout.
Issues of House Beautiful, Better Homes & Gardens, Ladies Home Journal, etc, from the Golden Era are all easy to find and cheap in antique mall type places. Pick up a few issues and you'll have ideas for a really super living room in an hour.

Sweet Leilani

A-List Customer
Wingnut, it's all about the accessories! You can make almost any style of furniture fit a period look if you pick the right lamps, pictures, ceramics, etc. I have mixed & matched furniture all over the place, but I threw in a couple vintage radios, an old fan, some B&W photos and you get the idea of the 40s.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace