Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FWIW... Inexpensive fur felt

Strapped-4-Cache

One Too Many
I returned from lunch to find a large box at my desk. This wasn't supposed to arrive until Saturday!

Unboxing pics:
6e5c00e55264d2b382c0f97993be0e88.jpg

Cool, it comes with the chin strap!
540556c41993c358fc4dba7ffc019ea5.jpg

My first green hat
9b0879040f19e3c621849bb3ab3ccde6.jpg

Hmmm. Wide oval. Not a great fit, but at least it didn't cost a lot.
065bde35e0f5be74fdd3423842532cbf.jpg

As noted elsewhere, these hats are STIFF. Not sure it it'll get much softer, but I now have a hat to experiment on.

ingineer

One Too Many
Rick; Thanks for the heads up.
Just ordered one. Ar that price almost disposable.
Dinerman says he wasn't happy with his Stratton, but the one i have makes a great snow hat.

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Rick; Thanks for the heads up.
Just ordered one. Ar that price almost disposable.
Dinerman says he wasn't happy with his Stratton, but the one i have makes a great snow hat.

A denatured alcohol soak may well break down allot of the stiffener (probably :eeek:). They are super tough felt, tough as an Akubra, imo.

casechopper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
They're much thicker and stiffer than even the thickest Akubra that I've handled. They're very much in helmet territory.

ingineer

One Too Many
They're much thicker and stiffer than even the thickest Akubra that I've handled. They're very much in helmet territory.
Understood. bur these are uniform/ working Hats.
Looks as if these have a leather sweat band,
Should have bought one of their Westerns a long time agp

Strapped-4-Cache

One Too Many
Meant to post these pics here yesterday, but posted in the New Hats thread instead. Here's some shots of the hat after soaking the brim and steaming the crown.

33baa01bf8e93be2ca4eeba97ee4058e.jpg

f322437774784300b3ecae90df01ed33.jpg

5fafc3dd01ecdfb2d019cb068edd11eb.jpg

The brim is still as stiff as a board, but at least it's shaped more to my liking.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I bought that exact hat last year. The sweatband lasted two days before turning into a piece of beef jerkey. The ribbon fell off a bit later. The funny thing is, I've had other Strattons without any problems at all. On the bright side, the leather hat band that came along with it looked great on a western, and someone paid me $50 for the tattered remains of the forest service hat.

Strapped-4-Cache

One Too Many
Hopefully the sweat will last longer than yours did. It's still soft and flexible, but is really thin. Your comment is encouraging me to grab the Lexol and do a bit of preventive maintenance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot