Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Genres Being "Mixed"

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
Techno with Jazz? Heavy Metal with Swing? Hip Hop with Ragtime or Two Step?

What examples can you give of the less traditional artists that have broken the barrier of horns and whistles with heavy beats and ear blowing melodies?

Here is one of my newly interested groups.

Wolfgang Parker

He combines a bit of Ska with Swing and Punk. Definitely listen to "Room Nineteen"!

Another is Brian Setzer or Big Bad Voodoo Daddy. Brian Setzer combines swing with rockabilly

vonwotan

Practically Family
Hanging out on the Lower East Side in the early eighties - one example was the Bad Brains Reggae and Punk.

There is also a very interesting blend of opera and modern/dance hall/electronica in the movie The Fifth Element. Diva Plavalaguna's song is an aria from Act 3, Scene 1, of the opera "Lucia di Lammermoor" by Gaetano Donizetti and performed by Inva Mulla Tchako. It starts off as opera and become something entirely different as it progresses.

vonwotan

Practically Family
It just occurred to me that some of my favourite music might be considered an mix of genres, jazz and opera. Gershwin's Porgy and Bess requires voices trained for opera, but the music is decidedly not opera. I love both vocal jazz and opera, and Gershwin blends the two incredibly well.

Kim_B

Practically Family
Abby Travis has a lot of music that sounds like it's cabaret infused with pop/electronica. It's really pretty cool, actually.

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
CharlieH. said:
Max Raabe and the Palast Orchester play modern pop tunes in full-fledged 1930's dance band style. I haven't heard any of those though.

That sounds interesting...

I wonder what "She's a Maniac" would sound like big band style.

Here's Max Raabe's website. They have some samples. http://www.palastorchester.de

From the looks of his shows, he's completely booked year round, but hardly comes into the US. San Diego is just a bit too far.

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
happyfilmluvguy said:
That sounds interesting...

I wonder what "She's a Maniac" would sound like big band style.

Here's Max Raabe's website. They have some samples. http://www.palastorchester.de

From the looks of his shows, he's completely booked year round, but hardly comes into the US. San Diego is just a bit too far.

Ha! If he weren't coming to the Bay Area this month I would
have driven down to San Diego from here! What an opportunity!
Don't miss it.

Dusting off my vintage tux...

BTW, CharlieH, great avatar photo.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Two of my favorite bands

The Gotan Project: French band, does electronic remixed Italian tango music, sung in spanish

Alabama 3: self described as acid house gospel, with a techno techno country flavor lol Best known for the theme song of The Supranos. I cant wait for them to tour the US :rolleyes:

LD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany