Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Getting a '40s newspaperman-type flash camera

photobyalan

A-List Customer
Mr. 'H' said:
That looks like a neat camera set:

6b_1.JPG

I wonder if it would be a good buy?

Buy maybe a bit too mo-dern for me ('55???)

That one appears to be a smaller format Graphic, probably 2x3 or 3 1/4 x 4 1/4. Film is available in those sizes, but your choice of vendors is... one... and your choice of different films is... two, maybe three. You could use a roll-film back on the Graphics, but shooting 120 film defeats the purpose of carrying a large-format camera. It also changes the field of view of the lens, so you need adapters for the viewfinder and the wire frame.

If you're planning to actually take pictures, I would recommend a 4x5 Crown Graphic. The Crown Graphic is very similar to the Speed Graphic, but does not have a focal plane shutter, so it is considerably lighter and a bit thinner.

If you're not planning to take pictures, then one of the smaller-sized cameras will do nicely, take up less room, and be easier on the wallet. Keep your eyes peeled for an "Anniversary" model. They would be the most historically accurate for a 1940's-era photographer. The Super Speed Graphic was not produced until the 1960's (and they look like it), so they'd be poor substitute.

You have already received a lot of good information and Graflex.org is a really good resource.

Your idea of picking up an entire kit at one swoop is excellent. It's almost always more economical to get it all at once than piecemeal. Look for a kit that includes at least one Grafmatic film holder. If you think flashbulbs are cool, wait 'til you try one of those.

You should be able to pick up a complete kit with a 4x5 Speed or Crown for around $300, depending on who else is bidding. A 3 1/4 x 4 1/4 or 2x3 should be considerably cheaper. I wouldn't waste time with local camera shows, my experience has been that Graflex equipment is ridiculously expensive and the dealers aren't willing to bargain prices down to ebay levels.

And, please, don't waste the flashbulbs. Only one company in the world makes them now, they only make three sizes, and they are very expensive. Vintage bulbs are still available but, as they get used, they deplete a supply that will not be renewed.

WEEGEE

Practically Family
nice post photobyalan

Only to add...if you have a 4x5 graphic already i recommend getting a poloroid back and giving Type 55 B&W pos/neg film a try...you get a print
and a negitive that needs to be washed and treated.

www.polaroid.com/service/filmdatasheets/4_5/55fds.pdf

Special Treatment Requires print coating the positive and clearing the negative. To clear the negative for reuse, immerse it in a sodium sulfite clearing bath immediately after development. Sodium sulfite powder is readily available from professional photographic supply dealers and chemical supply houses. Mix in the following proportions: Warm water: 2 liter or 70 fl. oz. Sodium sulfite powder: 440 grams or 16 oz. (weight) (anhydrous/desiccated) Slowly add the powder to the water; stir continuously until all powder is dissolved. Allow to cool to approximately 70 0F(210C) before using. Store the solution in brown, well-stoppered bottles or in a tank with a floating lid. To prevent scratches: Negative scratch resistance can be improved by treating the processed negative (after clearing in water and sodium sulfite) in a solution of Kodak Rapid Fix with Hardener (parts A & B) for two minutes. This solution should be made up and used in accordance with Kodak’s recommended mix procedures, chemical caution statements, wash times and temperatures. Caution This film uses a small amount of caustic paste. If any paste appears, avoid contact with skin, eyes and mouth and keep away from children and animals. If you get some paste on your skin, wipe it off immediately, then wash with water to avoid an alkali burn. If eye contact occurs, quickly wash the area with plenty of water and see a doctor. Keep discarded materials away from children, animals, clothing and furniture. Image Area 3 1/ 2 x 4 1/ 2 in. (9 x 11.4 cm) Finish Glossy Exposures per Unit 20 exposures per box Development Time 20-25 seconds at 70 0F

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Dare we expect to see pictures from the QM Extravaganza with people all squinting, arms outstretched in a rather zombie-like daze, the after-effects of flash-bulb retinal burn?

And watch where you pop-out the flashbulbs - they're really hot. A newspaper photographer friend of my parents said she wore her little white gloves when she'd attend a ladies' tea or some ladies' auxilliary function where she'd snap a few shots for the weekend society section, but carried a thermal glove in her purse for when she was sent out to cover some fast-breaking news story and was going to have to be snapping pictures in rapid-fire order (this was 40's to mid-60's using a Speed Graphics camera) so she could change bulbs without getting burned or scorching her white gloves.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
My Dad the retired pro shot weddings and bar mitzvahs (among lots of other things) with his 4x5 Crown Graphic back in the late 40s/early 50s. He always had a handkerchief at hand for removing the used flashbulbs without burning himself, and he kept the unused bulbs in one jacket pocket and the used ones in the other.

Imagine shooting an event like that with a 4x5 camera! Dealing with heavy cameras, bulky film holders, hot flashbulbs... and doing it essentially one shot at a time, 'cause even an expert couldn't flip or change the film holders and deal with the dark slides that quickly!

Of course, they produced *many* less images than modern wedding shooters do: He described their package as being: portraits of the bride and groom (alone and together), one or two extended family group shots, a set of table pictures, a couple of party candids, and one or two down-the-aisle or at-the-altar shots - about 20 or so pictures. And we're talking b/w that he developed and printed himself... (Then, as more recently, reprints for the extended family was the major profit engine.)

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
My Father has one of those 4x5 Crown Grafix cameras with every dodad imaginable to go with it. That thing took some fabulous photos. A lot of good memories were made developing film into pictures with my dad.

Cheers!

Dan

FedoraGent

One Too Many
Mr. 'H' said:
That's fantastic information Jens. That's ever so helpful.

As I would be new t this, can you please tell me how much I should be spending, roughly? {(1) Camera and (2) Flash?}.

I'll bet you get noticed with it! Do you wear vintage when you have it out and about?

I know what you mean by the silky feeling of the black and white film:

Take this as an example (one of my favorites!):
plymoth95eg.jpg

Um...is that Wild Root?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy