Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Getting an Eastman B3 need suggestions for a hat.

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
3ff.jpg Here is one of 3 oldschool squadron hats I have made using a Recycled Thinsulate Brand A-2 FLight Jacket, The leather shell and the lining are both from the same Jacket. The hat itself is a clone of a 1950s Squadron Hat I have used for Ref, classic 4 panel contruction like a B-2 hat. (One of these is spoken for by a fellow Lounge Member ) I have a couple left, They are not perfect, but let me know if something like this is of interest, I can make you one in different materials and colours etc. Not sure how I like it with a B-3 or not yet, Its not cold enough yet for my Avirex B-3 hahah!

PM me if interested.

Edward

Bartender
Edward, are you positive the brown Stetson flat cap is the Burney model? It looks darker than the ones I have been seeing on the Internet.

That's what they called it when I bought mine, but that was 2010. I think there was a fair bit of colour variation between them as it's a roughout style (think that has some effect?). There was also one the looked very similar but darker in photos that was actually waxed canvas. Don't recall what it was called.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
I've had Elmer Fudd comments whilst wearing a B2 Cap :-D
Serves you right Haha! I used to get comments about Indiana Jones when wearing my wide brim trilby(Fedora usually in the 'Lounge') And Blue Oyster Club if I wore my Harley hat with a black T. :)

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Tonite I wore out my vintage G1 with a Navy 'Watch Cap' to top off my look in the December drizzle and got accused of being a 'Big-Issue' seller.........I just can't win :-D

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
What the heck did they mean by Big-Issue seller???
Big Issue, is a magazine sold by homeless people, or more probably by those of all ages, men or women, without a permanent address. The magazine contains features that often cover 'issues' such as drugs, life on the streets, and often controversial issues similar plus the odd music and media features. The title comes from the sellers circumstances, being homeless, which is 'The Big Issue'
The sellers are paid a percentage from each magazine sold. During the winter the sellers will occasionally be seen wearing clothing, often donated or from charities(But not always) that may include woolly hats described here as Watch Caps.
I dont often buy Big Issue so please correct me if I have got any of this wrong.
Cheers, J

CigarConnoisseur

New in Town
Big Issue, is a magazine sold by homeless people, or more probably by those of all ages, men or women, without a permanent address. The magazine contains features that often cover 'issues' such as drugs, life on the streets, and often controversial issues similar plus the odd music and media features. The title comes from the sellers circumstances, being homeless, which is 'The Big Issue'
The sellers are paid a percentage from each magazine sold. During the winter the sellers will occasionally be seen wearing clothing, often donated or from charities(But not always) that may include woolly hats described here as Watch Caps.
I dont often buy Big Issue so please correct me if I have got any of this wrong.
Cheers, J

Oh my...in other words based on how bn1966 looked to the individual, he/she thought he was an indignant!?!? LOL Thanks for the info!

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
wore my B-3 Avirex with B-2 Eastman cap X-mas shopping for family today, No comments but its a small town here and Im sure to turn heads...Probly been given nicknames I dont even know about for sure wearing the sheepskin! :D nobody is really for certain about the look I think. hahah.

one thing for sure, its B-3 weather here today up on top of Lake Ontario.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
There is a local lad around here that wears a 'Davy Crockett' hat with everything.....he's never without that hat :-D

Big J

Call Me a Cab
There is a local lad around here that wears a 'Davy Crockett' hat with everything.....he's never without that hat :-D

That's kind of cool! I'd love to know why! There could be a really cool story behind it.
When I was a student, there was this guy on campus who looked like Las Vegas Elvis everyday; white jumpsuit or black leather, and massive gold shades. A lot of people said nasty things behind his back, but I respected him for doing his thing instead of looking like a GAP clone. As long as there are fans like that, I guess The King will never die.

AIRCRAFTMECH

New in Town
Well, Ive had a B3 for about 16 years and usually wore a ball cap watchcap or my cowboy hat. A few years ago I bought a dark blue fitted wool ball cap with my aircraft maintenance wings embroidered on the back. I've always Dreamed of a B2 but finances wouldn't allow it. A few weeks ago I got fed up and made a B1 summer hat to see if I could make one (I'm handy that way) it turned out superb! So I made a B2 even dying the skin. When I went to sew the leather brim on my machine said NO so I took it to a shoe repair place to have it sewn on. The nice lady couldn't believe I made it! In the mean time, my wife felt bad and bought me a ELC Russet B2. It was a size too small (ordered my normal size) and the russet does not match my seal jacket so it's in the mail now to me exchanged. Point being a watchcap or plain navy ball cap looked great! But I still prefer a B2!

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
Well, Ive had a B3 for about 16 years and usually wore a ball cap watchcap or my cowboy hat. A few years ago I bought a dark blue fitted wool ball cap with my aircraft maintenance wings embroidered on the back. I've always Dreamed of a B2 but finances wouldn't allow it. A few weeks ago I got fed up and made a B1 summer hat to see if I could make one (I'm handy that way) it turned out superb! So I made a B2 even dying the skin. When I went to sew the leather brim on my machine said NO so I took it to a shoe repair place to have it sewn on. The nice lady couldn't believe I made it! In the mean time, my wife felt bad and bought me a ELC Russet B2. It was a size too small (ordered my normal size) and the russet does not match my seal jacket so it's in the mail now to me exchanged. Point being a watchcap or plain navy ball cap looked great! But I still prefer a B2!

If you would like to Trade patterns, I will trade your B-1 Pattern for my Leather Squadron hat with your summer B-1 pattern maybe!

please post pics of your hat! would love to see!

as for your ELC B-2 that was small, It should fit VERRRY tight! It had to Stay on in the back of a B-24!!! It should be made to be that way, and it will eventually break in after so long! Its ironic the hat was built to break in! nothing in the Textile industry is Tailored with that kind of care anymore. Its all so baggy and saggy.

another thing you might find interesting is a wartime Theatre made B-1 that I bought, it was cut from a Khaki Rangoon style shirt. Its cool.

Last edited:

CigarConnoisseur

New in Town
Lots of cool stories...to many to quote! Thanks for all the inputs! Still trying to figure out what would look good on me without looking like a dork. LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot