Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Glenn Miller Orchestra dates 2019

Tiki Tom

My Mail is Forwarded Here

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Anybody been to one of their shows?
Many times. You need to get yourself to the UK in August, between the dates of 23rd & 26th. You won't be disappointed. Here's the link:
https://twinwoodevents.com/line-up/
The Glenn Miller Band are the headline act for Sunday over the weekend.
You might have seen previous threads with regards to Twinwood. The reason is, Twinwood farm was conscripted by the war ministry during WW2, it became known as RAF Twinwood. On the 15th December 1944, Glenn Miller took off from RAF Twinwood, and was never seen again. His military record still reports him as, "Missing."

OldStrummer

Practically Family
I wonder if any of the original band members will be playing.

Okay, that's a joke. I say this because yesterday I was recollecting seeing Iron Butterfly in concert three years ago. None of the original members of the band were present (two of them have deceased). Someone online took umbrage at that fact. It was pointed out the the current members have all been members of the band in the past, so it truly was Iron Butterfly.

No one seems to care that "Glenn Miller Orchestra" has neither Glenn Miller nor the original members. It's like "Boston Pops" or "New York Philharmonic." They are institutions, not personalities!

Incidentally, I enjoyed the Iron Butterfly show, for what it's worth. :)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The "Glenn Miller Orchestra" has existed far longer than the actual, original Glenn Miller and His Orchestra ever did. The Miller estate reformed the band in 1946, two years after Miller's death, and sent it out on the road under the direction of Tex Benecke. There's been an "official" Miller ghost band on the road ever since.

Ghost bands usually do have some official link to the original orchestra, whether thru personnel or thru the licensed use of the original arrangements. Usually these bands are the product of a famous leader's estate, but in the 80s and 90s Artie Shaw had a ghost band out touring under his name using his old arrangements -- while he sat back at home and collected the checks. Nice work if you can get it.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
I had the opportunity to see the GMO perform back in college and didn't take it. I've been kicking myself ever since. They don't appear to be coming anywhere near me, however.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
When American bandleader Herb Miller, who brought the ″Big Band″ sound of his late brother Glenn Miller to thousands in the United States and Europe, died, his 46-year-old son, John, took over the 16-piece band. John is determined the show will go on - that’s what Herb would have wanted, is what I remember John saying the last time I saw him at Twinwood. He wasn't talking to me but to Terry Elliott, the DJ who was interviewing him, in front of the audience. But don't take my word for it, ask the longtime regular's at Twinwood, The Lounge's very own Harry & Edna.
https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/harry-edna-on-the-wireless.62755/

Tiki Tom

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks for the history! Fascinating and certainly adds to the appreciation. I see they will be performing here in March (unfortunately on a work night!) Perhaps I'll be able to talk Mrs Tiki into dressing like its 1943.

BTW, if you are interested, jazzradio.com has a big band live-streaming channel:

https://www.jazzradio.com/swingnbigband

Last edited:

martinsantos

Practically Family
As far I know there is only one former Glenn Miller musician alive today - Ray Anthony.

After the war the Glenn Miller Orchestra had some great and some very bad moments. I like the recordings made in Tex Beneke, McKinley and Buddy diFranco days.

martinsantos

Practically Family
Shaw was a unique ghost band because the ghost was alive! :D It was the only band still with its leader. Shaw stopped with the clarinet in mid-50s - as far as know because he turned deaf. But the orchestra was fabulous yet, and always had a great clarinetist to play Shaw's parts. And with the leader was possible to make the best music.

Usually these bands are the product of a famous leader's estate, but in the 80s and 90s Artie Shaw had a ghost band out touring under his name using his old arrangements -- while he sat back at home and collected the checks. Nice work if you can get it.

3fingers

One Too Many
My wife sings in a praise band at church.
Their piano player of a few years finished his masters degree and left last year. He sent her a Facebook message recently letting her know that he had been hired by the Miller Orchestra and will be going on the road shortly.

1930artdeco

Practically Family
GF took me to see them in Oakland for date night and thoroughly enjoyed them. They seemed to have quite a bit of fun while they played. And the leader gave some background to some of the songs they played. I would see them again when they come back next year.

Mike

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo