Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Golden Era Hit Song From Africa

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Folks, I have to confess, I have always absolutely detested the song "The Lion Sleeps Tonight." However, after reading about the original 1939 version of the song in today's NY Times, I have newfound respect for the composer and his work. I had no idea the origin of the song, and thought others here might be interested as well. We don't usually talk about Golden Era music from other parts of the world.

Be sure to click on the links on the left side of the article. One enlarges the 1941 photo of "The Original Evening Birds." Gotta love their style! Another link plays samples of the song in its different permutations, and it is quite the treat hearing the 1939 recording.

I still detest the modern versions.

Brad

Salv

One Too Many
Pete Seeger comes off in that story as a bit naive, and not responsible for Linda not getting paid, but in reality when The Weavers recorded the song as "Wimoweh" the writer credit went to "Paul Campbell" which was a pseudonym for Seegers group. Seegers claims that "I didn't realize what was going on and I regret it," and "I have always left money up to other people. I was kind of stupid" aren't very convincing.

Cousin Hepcat

Practically Family

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails