Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Greetings!

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Trickeration said:
ITG-
Hi. Yes, I know the Dickersons. We went to church with them for a long time in Carlsbad. Now we go down to visit a bit less often. It's a trek from Long Beach. You look familiar, too. Have we met at their house maybe? Or at the church?
Ah yes, then we did meet...I was in town visiting the family about 2 years ago. Your family was over and you showed me how to do a vintage hair roll. That might ring a bell. That really started getting me pumped about trying out vintage hair styles. Thanks!

Trickeration

Practically Family
That's right! I remember that night. It's nice to hear from you. You look great in your avatar. Do you stay in touch with the Dickerson's still? Let me know when you'll be out this way again. Rob and I can take you around the swing scene here in L.A. Our email is rhythmsection@verizon.net so feel free to e anytime.

Well, gotta run. The Seaside Ball is in 2 hours and my hair still wet. Take care! T

ITG

Call Me a Cab
I mainly keep in touch with Dan and Holly. Dan is in Scotland for the month of June. Holly is in New Mexico and she and I email on a fairly regular basis. I'll probably be out there in November for the Indygear summit on the Queen Mary. You oughta come...most of us dress up in vintage clothing while there on the ship. It's loads of fun. I'm not sure how long I'll be able to take off work though for it. So it may be a 2or 3 day trip for me.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=1824

You might appreciate these pics:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v179/wickie7/Queen Mary 2004/QM2004_sirwinstons18.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v179/wickie7/Queen Mary 2004/QM2004_whips2.jpg

Trickeration

Practically Family
The pics are cool! Dan looks so serious in that suit! We'll try to get over to the Indygear summit. Do you think Dan will go, too? If your trip is short, maybe we can all meet up for dinner or something. You know I've lived in Long Beach for 5 years now and still haven't been to the Queen Mary! Our band even plays there a few times a year, but I've missed every one of those gigs for one reason or another. Now I'll have more reason to go.

I'll try to post some pics of us soon. I'm still just getting the hang of this stuff!

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Trickeration said:
The pics are cool! Dan looks so serious in that suit! We'll try to get over to the Indygear summit. Do you think Dan will go, too? If your trip is short, maybe we can all meet up for dinner or something. You know I've lived in Long Beach for 5 years now and still haven't been to the Queen Mary! Our band even plays there a few times a year, but I've missed every one of those gigs for one reason or another. Now I'll have more reason to go.

I'll try to post some pics of us soon. I'm still just getting the hang of this stuff!
Sorry it's taken so long to respond. I've been a bit out of pocket lately.

I assume Dan will be there because I heard he's helping plan it with Bogie1943 (Josh). Usually what they do is have dinner Friday night at Sir Winston's (a pricey but classy restaurant) and then dinner at the Promenade or Chelsea on Saturday night. Maybe you could join us. I may fly in on a Friday and fly out on a Sunday. I'm not real sure what the agenda may be but there may be a group that goes to Disney on Friday. If so, I may try to come in Thursday if I can get someone to cover my classes for 2 days.

Trickeration

Practically Family
We'll try to meet up with you guys for dinner somewhere. It sounds like fun. Dan and Josh were going to come by here a while back, but changed their plans last minute, so we didn't get to see them. Bye the way, what's Dan's name here on the lounge?

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Hello ladies!
THe only thing that I've heard about Peterman is that their clothes, (titanic attire) run large. So for you petite gals you could run into a problem. If you like email this Titanic collector.. I'm pretty sure she said the 6 fit like an 8, I hope it wasn't the other way around!
http://www.titanicmoviecollection.homestead.com/index.html

I see alot of his stuff on ebay~

I collect everything vintage from many eras. I would LOVE to swing dance. Unfortunately, my dear husband is a total clod on the dance floor. We took lessons and it was just horrible. The intructor couldn't even help! I couldn't even lead and make it look ok.. he can somewhat waltz and that's IT! :cry: I felt so bad for him because he really did try, perhaps too hard.

Ohairas

Trickeration

Practically Family
Husbands...what can you do........

ohairas said:
I see alot of his stuff on ebay~

I collect everything vintage from many eras. I would LOVE to swing dance. Unfortunately, my dear husband is a total clod on the dance floor. We took lessons and it was just horrible. The intructor couldn't even help! I couldn't even lead and make it look ok.. he can somewhat waltz and that's IT! :cry: I felt so bad for him because he really did try, perhaps too hard.

Ohairas

Welcome! I'm a big collector and ebayer, too. And, alas, I too, am the wife of a non-dancer. We've come to an agreement, though. I dance as much as I want to (no creepy partners, but I agree with that anyway) as long as I don't even THINK about asking him to go out on the floor! He's quite content watching the band, or playing (he plays upright bass in a swing band). I have a lot of 'regular' dance partners now that my husband and I are great friends with. I even teach with one of them.

Has your husband ever tried to learn without you there? I've found many people have a harder time learning to dance with their spouse than someone else. My husband says he wouldn't rule out some private lessons sometime, but right now the music is on the front burner. I think he might do well, though.

Here's my sister-in-law's story...Kathy and her husband, Andy, took a series of swing lessons a couple of years ago. She said Andy was pretty rough through the whole thing, no matter how he tried. At the end of the series the instructor came up to him and gave him his money back. He told Andy he "was sorry and that there was nothing he could do for him" like a doctor giving a prognosis of death. At least Kathy and Andy took it well. She still tries to dance with him. He stands there, holding her hand, and she dances around him. It's pretty funny. Sort of Louis Prima/Keely Smith in reverse. :)

PS Where are you located? Maybe our husbands can stand around together while we all dance! ;)

Angelicious

One of the Regulars
CanaryBird said:
Hi Ladies. I dropped by a few months ago and then promptly forgot about this site (awful of me, i know). I'm from New Zealand - our swing community is small but fiesty ;) - do many of you dance swing or are you more into the vintage look?
Hi all...

I'm from New Zealand too, but somewhat further north, in Hamilton. I'd love to dance swing, but it's so danged expensive to learn! (I'm on a student budget, & a single parent.) I mostly study the history/sociology of the period, and am starting to get into the dress/look. I'm MAD about the music. :D Original and revival, jazz, jump, blues, big band, swing... The lot. I'd love to find a band to sing with, but can't seem to find any local leads.

I'm envious of you, CanaryBird! I've heard Chch is swinging! There is a small swing community here, but it seems to operate out of the one dance school, and as such appears mostly limited to members. Auckland seems to be the closest hotspot.

Anyway, nice to be here; I've learned heaps already! I look forward to learning more... :)

zeus36

A-List Customer
Gals, I made six trips to Christchurch and wasted them ! If I'd been into the vintage thing back then (in the mid 80's) I would have hit up some of the old shops looking for vintage clothes. That town looked like the US or England back in the 40s and 50's.

Canarybird,
Is the Christchurch Wizard of the town square still debating with the public from his ladder?

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Trickeration said:
Hi,
I have some friends in your part of Texas. Do either of you know Frank Eisenman or Erol Burghardt? T
Ha! I know Erol...in fact last night we went grab a bite to eat together. He was telling me that he's been to this site before and we both figured out that we know you. Nice guy and small world!

boomerchop

One of the Regulars
Lynchburg College is a good school. I've taken some graduate courses there and often attend concerts and lectures there.

Um, however, I guess we should get out of the powder room. Sorry ladies, I'll, um, be going now....

(How did I get in there in the first place?..... Darn "New Posts" button...)
:confused:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner