Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hair clippers and cutting your own hair

memphislawyer

Practically Family
Got my first buzz cut since I was a kid today. My crown is very thin now, and the top is more so, almost bald, and I went with a #3 blade on top with #2 blade on the side. Looks good. So I was thinking to keep up the neat appearance, a set of home clippers would be great. And to boot, my Braun beard Cruzer trimmer, a rechargeable, seems to be losing the 'oomph' and needs replacing

I have read the pros of corded vs. uncorded, and attachments and my head is spinning. Corded may be a problem, perhaps, in me doing it myself. Will be more powerful (I have thin short hair) and last longer.

I have read about the Andis Promotor Combo. Comes with the trimmer that can touch up goatee and back of neck

Philips Norelco Do-It-Yourself has swivel 180 degree head and is rechargeable.

Wahl Lithium Ion Pro Combo is a rechargeable uncorded option to the Andis

and then there are the Osters.

So I thought I would open it up to anyone that maybe cuts their own hair, buzz cut, and perhaps also trims a goatee or beard at home. Suggestions on what to get and hints to do a passable job at home. If nothing else, I need my top to stay buzzed and can look passable with the sides growing out for 4, 5 weeks. The trimmer would allow me to at least keep the top looking better between visits to the barber.

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
I've had the same Oster for twenty years, and I use it a lot. Corded. I believe it was the base model. I've never cared for rechargeable units (I also use an electric shaver). They don't last long enough when shaving. The batteries go bad. They really aren't that much more convenient as you shave. It's not as if you're going to dance through the house as you shave hair. The cord is a minimal nuisance. I'd recommend a simple design. Less to fall apart in this time of low quality manufacturing and planned obsolescence. Be sure to keep it well oiled.

I wish you luck. I looked at a couple stores a few months ago, and they were expensive and made like junk. This is the same experience I had with replacing my electric shaver. They want you to spend $150+ for anything resembling quality and durability. It might be a good idea to see what they stock at Petsmart and pet stores. You might get a better trimmer for a lesser price.

casechopper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I use a Wahl peanut clipper. It works pretty good for cutting your own hair as it's very small and manageable. I generally let my wife cut my hair though as it's much faster and she can see what she's doing better than I can. Balancing mirrors front and back to see what you're cutting can be a real pain. I've cut my both my sons hair a couple times and I like the peanut for them as well as the larger trimmers are harder to use accurately while cutting hair on heads that don't stop moving.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steveng183